Practice headphones

Wallace,

Did you have any problems with noise from the cord on these?

Ken

I like my Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pros quite a bit.

I have status audio CB-1. Pretty solid and comfy for $50

1 Like

Good suggestion. They are on the list, but at about 30% more than I wanted to spend. But they are in the running as replacements.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for open back, but I’ll take a look at these.

1 Like

Glad you’re happy with it. These things are way better than they deserve to be. Especially for our purposes, because they resolve a lot of detail (including unwanted detail, haha).

2 Likes

Haha, yeah, I noticed that right away.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::crazy_face:

1 Like

This is actually what studio monitors are supposed to do - flat response, bring out all the details. :slight_smile:

But it takes a little getting used to. And humility.

3 Likes

Yeah, @howard Thats what I was hoping for at this price point, and expected expected this , both to aid with technique, and to properly demo pedals, not thinking they are all just bland, especially Compression and Octave pedals.

I was going along with @peterhuppertz post about hearing mistakes and playing around with the frustration emoji, but in reality, Icouldn’t be happier with my new headphones, without paying 3x as much, and even then??? These might be good enuf, or that good in comparison with the $80 to $100 headphones you recommended, without diminishing returns.

Plus they are Bluetooth, and support headphone sharing, however you can’t listen to two sources at a time like those other set shown in earlier posts.

2 Likes

@KenKnight, no issues so far, I’ve been pretty happy with them.

2 Likes

Cool, they look awesome.

1 Like

Honestly? I haven’t used it - yet. I’m using the Scarlett 2i2 and the sound is fine without an additional amp!

4 Likes

You should try it, you might be surprised :slight_smile:

For example, my DAI can drive my DT990s and it sounds ok, but it sounds noticeably better using even just my cheapass AudioTechnica amp to drive them.

3 Likes

what are you using to drive your headphones? Or combo of thing So? Do you mean the two things at the end of your pedal chain? And am trying to figure out what you bean while not knowing the model numbers to the products you are referring . Can you explain so I am clear on what you mean?

3 Likes

I run my whole pedal chain into my DAI, a Zoom U-24.

I run a Line Out stereo signal from my U-24 to a super low-budget Audio-Technica headphone amplifier. I forget the model, it’s very cheap but works fine.

Note: you only need a headphone amplifier if you have high impedance headphones. Not needed at all (and actually probably undesirable) for headphones under 100 ohms. My DT990s are 250 ohms and so sound better with an amp. They work fine without it but have noticably better low end response with it.

4 Likes

Got ya, not sure what mine are , but probably not what yours are. Thanks, I was not sure if you were talking about headphones into a bass combo amp or head after your Board. My BDI-21 will be here next week sometime. I got the Zoom U-22 delivered today along with the USB camera adapter, just need to read up on it a bit and make sure to get all the proper cables For will need, then I can record properly in Garage band.

2 Likes

This post got me motivated to try something new. I’ve been using an older pair of Sennheiser HD212 Pro they have been pretty good, and I have liked them on my console. But I was sure I could find something better without spending too much.

So, I was excited to try some semi open headphones. I got a set of the AKG K240. I liked the sound but they didn’t have enough gain on some of my devices— like my UMC 404HD interface. I didn’t have enough headroom on JamKazam with other musicians. Maybe a preamp would help but I don’t want to go down that road… I think they are 56 or 64 ohms. Also, they just had too much bleed of other sounds around the house. They didn’t have enough isolation from the TV or dog, or front door.

I know a lot of folks love this headphone, but I am returning them. They are just not a match for me.

And, I think I have found the headphone that I like the best for the money. So far on day 3 they are great. AKG 182 closed back. I haven’t noticed if anyone else is using these but I wanted to make sure folks on the forum didn’t overlook them.

3 Likes

I admittedly was using a pretty cheap pair of headphones, ones I bought for the gym. They are over ear, and compared to listening out of my iPad speakers, they were much better, even tho they are not much better then blasting Gutter outs “Friendly People” or Die Antwoord, or Panthers “Vulgar Display of Power” or Slayer “Reign in Blood”, you know, good work out music, very high energy.
Well, ok, they are crap.

So, I just got a set of Bluedio T5 headphones, DJ or Studio, I don’t recall, but they seem like a huge upgrade, and sound quality is amazing, especially plugged into my amp.
Well, @howard was saying something about the ohms in his headphones, or compared to some other headphones, saying like 60 or 120, I don’t recall, but the number is not hugely related to my question specifically, but kind of.
Anyway, I decided to check the impedance of mine, and it took some searching because it was not displayed on any of the packaging or in the product description on Amazon.
Well, I found it and it is listed at 16ohms.
So I get the ohms for our amps, and how stacking cabinets changes load and all that, but I have no idea about how it works in headphones. I mean mathematically I get it sort of, but what does ohms have to do with headphone quality, and will headphones with 60ohms, always be better (for sound quality for our purpose playing and recording bass, and drum beats, and whatever else we mix in) then a pair with 16ohms?
What is the difference related to headphones and he load draw from the amplified signal? What does it do differently?
Will I eventually need those extra ohms being that I am putting together a studio to record onto my iPad???
I do like the sound, it is amazing, but the pair I had for reference is garbage. Will I hear a difference and gain any benefit if I send these back and get another pair, say the AGK 182. The easy answer is yes, they are in a different class, so the long answer is what I need, explaining how it relates, and why I will be better off with them ( or similar models)
Thanks @Moose_Hofer and hopefully @howard and anybody else online that care to assist with this question.

1 Like

My understanding is it’s a tradeoff. Higher impedance headphones can produce more rapid frequency response but require more power to drive. So the relative volume at the same output power levels will be lower for higher impedance headphones and they may lose some of their frequency response if they are insufficiently powered. I have actually experienced that part - my DAI can drive my headphones, but it just sounds better on my amp, even though it is an el cheapo amp.

Lower impedance headphones don’t have this issue, but also may not reach the potential of higher impedance headphones for clarity and frequency response.

Bottom line is, if you are happy with your sound now, there should be no reason to upgrade just over the impedance of the headphones.

For reference, the Sony MDR-V6 is one of the most widely used studio monitors and has been for decades; its impedance is 63 ohms, about a quarter of my DT-990s. I have a pair, they sound awesome, same level as my DT-990s. I only bought the beyerdynamics because I wanted open back.

3 Likes

Perfect, 100% what I was looking for, but that brings up another question.

So, if I play thru my actual amp, not my Zoom, but my actual Orange Crush 20b, 20w amp, or my SWR WorkingMan 15, 160w amp, will there be a difference with the higher impedience in the headphones.

I ask because, yes there is a bit of power there over the Zoom itself, or the Zoom DAI that I have, and I p,an to be running from one of the amps as I get. Y pedal board going. I could still go thru either Zoom ( tho the B1 four will be out of the chain, or not at the end of it, leaving the U-22 the one I would headphone from) but will more likely go out of the amp, it sits higher then the pedalboard on the ground.

Just curious if that bit of power makes a difference?