Practicing with different bass guitars

@JT I agree with you.

I completely support purchasing a Sadowsky PJ. I am, however, not known for giving good advice under these circumstances

2 Likes

Oh I think you made a fine fine choice overall :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now that I have 2 Basses I try to alternate every day or two. I can tell the difference. My Dean has a 24 fret neck and my Musicman has a 21, the Dean has two pickups, the Musicman has one so my right hand position changes from one to the other. Takes me a couple songs (UG tabs) to fully adapt. Had the Dean for a year and a half, the Musicman since Christmas and sadly or surprisingly I play it better.

1 Like

I have both a 5-string fretless and a 4-string J.

I walk through B2B on the fretted bass, and use the fretless for fun & noodling. I do intend to, once I’m done with B2B, run through it again on the fretless.

1 Like

I switch between a ‘standard’ 34" inch scale p-bass type thing and my 30" inch scale Squier VM Jaguar SS.

That scale length is quite a difference but I find I settle into one or the other quite quickly. I find the low end of the 34" fretboard a bit of a stretch for some pieces but honestly I find the short scale a bit cramped sometimes. And when I’ve gotten used to working on the 34" and go back to the 30" I sometimes go a fret too far with the pinky finger!

I really like both though and sometimes if I’ve found time for a long practice session and my left hand starts to ache I’ll switch to the shorty Jag and keep playing. Also if I’ve gotten a bit bogged down in something switching basses does seem to get me un-stuck.

And then I just like playing different basses for different songs. I don’t know why, it just feels right (or not). Like the Sting cover I posted in the other thread; I was practicing on the SS because the p-bass was in pieces but it just didn’t feel or sound right for that song.

3 Likes