Precision bass v jazz bass (video)

thought this was a great, clear video from phillip conrad about the differences of p-bass vs j-bass and which to get based on what you like to play. i think i am definitely more of a p-bass person.

18 Likes

I like his channel. Relatively new to YT but really nicely thought out content.
I won’t watch the video though, as the answer is obviously a P Bass :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Ha! I play mostly PJs. With the odd double humbucker and jazz thrown in.

3 Likes

yeah weirdly I have never owned a pure P, even though I don’t really like Jazz pickups all that much and usually like biasing my P/J’s towards the P.

But double humbuckers are definitely my favorite.

2 Likes

Best of both world would be a jazz body with p neck.

2 Likes

I kind of prefer the P body with J neck. But thats what makes the world go around.

5 Likes

But I still think the Stingray body, and L-1000 body (one and the same), and any copies thereafter are the most comfortable body style to play. They work sitting, standing, kneeling, during yoga, you name it, they work.

2 Likes

Nice informative video, good for when you are deciding if you want a P or J bass. I aim to have a P bass, J bass and double humbuckers in my collection. And one 5 string for when I want to play the B.

1 Like

There is no Vs. The clear answer is one (or seven) of each.

5 Likes

True true. I prefer a 40 mm nut, where a Jazz has a 38 mm and a P a 42 mm. There is no perfect bass for everyone

1 Like

That’s a pretty good video, and there’s a lot of P v J videos out there, I like that guy’s delivery maybe I’ll check more of it
Also it’s so easy to appreciate the tone difference

1 Like

I got a PJ, then a jbass, then an HH, then a single soap bar fretless and then finally a pbass, which i love playing the most :smiley: and it’s orange, so it’s extra awesome lol

2 Likes

I have both a Jazz and P … right now the P bass has been getting all the attention. Ive been practising standing up lately so ive enjoyed having almost 750 grams less hanging off my body! I also love the thump of it as well. Stand in front of my amp and its like i have a fan switched on :joy:

3 Likes

The weight really is a big thing.

2 Likes

After standing in a jam for a couple of hours it takes its toll on my upper back and left shoulder.

2 Likes

All of my basses are under 4kg, it’s a rule for me. The closer to 3.5 the better.

1 Like

My P is bang on 4kg. When i bought my Jazz the guy had a few other basses he was selling and let me have a play with them. He handed over an ESP and it weighed 5.7kg - new found appreciation for the guys and gals that can play something that heavy!

2 Likes

Yowza. 4kg is great. 5.7 - no.

2 Likes

The T-40 is 12lbs (5.44kg).
The right strap makes all the difference on weight.
Not just about width or padding, but shape, materials, padding, width, lie, everything.
I believe any bass can be made to feel fine if you find the right strap.

1 Like

Strap’s not an issue. It’s not that they don’t feel fine on my shoulder, that part isn’t a problem. It’s that lighter basses simply feel better in my hands.

1 Like