Precision vs Jazz (If I Could Only Have One…)

The Jazz bass is more popular than the Precision… but many pro’s prefer P bass. So which bass is better?

Battle PvJ 4

Learn Those Tasty P and J Riffs

Just for fun, I wrote out all the riffs in this video for you here -

Which Bass Should I Buy?

If you're trying to figure out which to buy for your first bass, I made this 2 page PDF to help you get out of analysis paralysis and pick something!

Check it out here.

Precision players and Jazz jammers - which bass is your favorite and why?

18 Likes

great vid - one of the better J vs P out there for sure. fyi you mentioned kim deal twice in the PDF under P (tho she is awesome enough to be mentioned twice).

also would love to see a similar vid about active vs. passive.

3 Likes

Gotta just have both.
Problem solved.

15 Likes

and a stingray/humbucker.

and a rick.

and down the GAS hole we go.

11 Likes

As a guy who owns mostly Jazz and has just started to explore Precisions, I’m really enjoying that P sound!

I think I’ve noticed on a Jazz with stacked knobs (separate tone for each pickup), it seems easier to approximate the P sound.

6 Likes

It’s really more about the overall feel of the bass (body, neck) that makes me gravitate to the Jazz… that and the fact that I don’t play much motown and old-school soul :wink:

For guys like me, a PJ is a good choice (for me, it’s a bit of both; for others it is neither nor)

6 Likes

This is the best P vs J comparison I’ve watched, highlights the strengths of both, and shows how much overlap there actually is. Thanks for the tabs too, some great riffs in there!

3 Likes

I like the fast neck do anything Jazz bass, but I love the spacious feel of P bass. Tone wise I can live with either. Put a fork in my hand I’d eat Pasta before Jambalaya everyday and twice on Sunday :joy: it’s down to feel for me.

5 Likes

Both have their nice points, body feel and neck wise. But I’m all about Vitamin P when it comes to pickups, hands down.

6 Likes

If I could have only one……

It would have to be my Fender Precision Deluxe PJ…. It always ends up being my “go to” on just about everything…. Has played 90% of the songs I’ve played in jams, with bands, in most of the covers I’ve recorded, and is used most of the time when I practice…. Even though I always play every song with every bass I have so that I can figure out which one might work best for whatever I’m doing at the time, I pretty much always revert to my Fender Precision Deluxe (PJ) even though it is heavier than my Fender Precision (P)……

Keep on Thumpin’
Lanny

7 Likes

Fun video, nice format and some tasty licks. I have neither a P or J bass in my collection yet…. I’ve got a PJ that I tinker with, but my main has humbuckers.

2 Likes

I’ve had a Fender P-bass, I’ve had a J/J bass, but most of my instruments have been P/J, including both my current ones.

3 Likes

For me its a P. The mid-range grunt and simplicity is awesome. I also like the roomy fretboard.

Before I’d go JJ again, I’d go for a double P.

3 Likes

Both! If I had to pick one it would be a J.

2 Likes

My go-to active Jazzy bass has a couple of Aguilar ceramic humbuckers instead of single coils. The pups sound fat and warm.

I can get a really respectable P bass tone out of it by soloing the neck pup and making a few preamp adjustments.

For me, I’ll choose the nut width, body shape and wide tonal versatility of a Jazz every time.

3 Likes

Definitely prefer humbuckers over J pickups.

4 Likes

If I could only have one?

This one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Not your regular P-bass neck though on this one :wink:

5 Likes

Brilliant video! Probably the best one to showcase the differences so quickly after each bass which really helps.

I sold my P and use my J all the time, and there is a tiny niggle in my mind that still won’t let go - and that’s when I play really mellow stuff and the J can’t quite match the P for that.

Dammit. Now I’m looking at P basses.

AGAIN!

5 Likes

I really love the simplicity of the P bass. I’m not a versatile enough player to need a versatile bass, although I own several. But if I had to pick just one it would be a P bass for me.

2 Likes

Many, many good (and some surprising!) Jazz bass tone examples in this video. Certainly not all the stereotypical single-coil tone some attribute to a “Jazz bass.”

1 Like