Primus covering Rush's Farewell to Kings album

They broke it into 2 parts for some reason…
More info here…

Part 1:

Part 2:
https://youtu.be/Zflb2s_yu2A

7 Likes

i love primus and i love rush but i do not love primus doing rush.

5 Likes

I am a big Les Claypool fan for his skillset but not a really big Primus fan, the music never really connected with me (except the extremely amazing South Park theme ‘ample parking day and night, people shouting howdy neighbor’) which bums me out as I don’t know a ton about Les’ playing. These clips show off how amazing he truly is, whether you like either band or not.

3 Likes

Sailing The Seas of Cheese was an interesting album.

2 Likes

Luv Primus but do not like Rush. First half of show is all Primus material.

1 Like

I have to admit that I don’t like Primus at all. Les Claypool seems like a fascinating and eminently likeable guy, but I have a hard time with the music (South Park theme being the exception). To be fair, I feel the same way about Jaco Pastorius. I can appreciate the technical prowess, I just don’t want to listen to it.

5 Likes

That’s where I am with Jaco/Weather Report too.

4 Likes

My problem is knowing every word to the songs and when I hear them in my head, it is Geddy’s voice my mind wants to hear. Claypool vocals are hard for me to listen to on those songs.

4 Likes

I did have a little bit of “ear hurt” with these, as I am so familiar with the original material. But, it was interesting. I’m not a huge Primus fan (agree with @howard about Sailing the Seas of Cheese), but I love, love, love Rush.

Also fall into the “I admire the talent, but it’s just not my thing” camp with Jaco…

4 Likes

Thank goodness it’s not just me not being a massive Primus fan! Yes they are a mega talented band but something just doesn’t gel with their stuff in my head. Certain riffs and bass lines yes but I struggle not to skip through to the next song once I’ve heard the bits I want to.
Rush I do like. Not all their back catalogue but a hell of a lot of it.
Brave move by Primus to cover A Farewell to Kings though. Definitely bowler hats off to them.
I could tell you the history of bowler hats incidentally but this isn’t the place :wink:

4 Likes

Primus is basically like Zappa. Not everyone’s cup of tea but probably something there to like for most, if you look.

3 Likes

I read earlier in the week that Les studied with Geddy just for this tour. They were good friends anyway from Geddy’s interview of Les for Geddy’s Big Book of Bass.

5 Likes

Not really into Primus, but discovered Les side project with Sean Lennon. Really like it a lot. Was lucky enough to catch them at House of Blues in Dallas before the pandemic.

2 Likes

That reminds me - I did like the Oysterhead album… Les, Stewart Copeland and Trey Anastasio…

2 Likes

I just got done listening to The Claypool Lennon Delirium.
I really like it, could get into this for sure.

2 Likes