Problem recording Hofner bass - noise

Anyone had any experience recording Hofner violin basses? I’m working on a cover with my new Hofner ignition but I’m getting loads of noise when trying to record through my Behringer audio interface and it really gets worse when using effects…

At this rate with my meagre production skills I’m just going to prop my smartphone next to the amp and record it through that. Any advice out there from people who have recorded Hofners (I’m looking at you @JerryP @PamPurrs especially :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

I have never had a problem, and I’ve recorded lots of covers with my Hofner. I use a Zoom U-44 so can’t help you with your Berenger.
Can you share what settings you have on the Hofner?

4 Likes

Nothing special with the settings as far as I can see- both pickups on, about 1/2 volume on each …

I’m getting the hum fairly constantly no matter what the settings though. Maybe I should think about swapping out the pickups?

Ed

2 Likes

I run the standard Macca setup, Solo, Bass On, Treble Off…I go straight into my Arturia DAI and then into my DAW, using logics B-15N cab/sim equivalent…no issues either…can you take a pic so we can see the height of the pups in relation to the strings?

4 Likes

hmm you could be on to something - I did raise the neck pickup a little to give it more oomph

3 Likes

Did you try changing the control panel to the settings I listed too? Also, look at the pups from the bridge towards the neck…maybe one side is too high, don’t need to be level though.

backbeat vintage is a great channel to see how he setups hofners https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCujXRTRH9oCX3tJZh58P85w

4 Likes

Ditto on backbeat vintage channel :+1:

3 Likes

What kind of noise?
Fret buzz or electonics noise?

If electronics…
Try to isolate the noise, swap cables, go straight to your amp with headphones, etc.
When do you get it, when do you not.

5 Likes

You totally nailed it. I lowered the neck pickup a little and now I’m getting a little crackling but I reckon a little bit more monkeying with the levels and it’ll be sorted.

Thanks guys :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :grinning:

6 Likes

Think I got it - I raised the pickup too high… I ain’t touching no more electroncs…

3 Likes

Sorry I’m late to this party, but I haven’t had any issues with my Hofner covers. I did get better tone by adjusting the pup height, but I guess I didn’t raise enough to get a buzz.

4 Likes

I’m glad you got it sorted @Ed . The Hofner produces a an amazing tone once you get it setup properly.
I love mine so much, I ordered another one and it’s on it’s way to me :truck:

3 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: I’m really getting into my Hofner - it’s light and the tone is perfect for blues. I think the string tension is a bit lighter as well (shorter scale?) and its easier to bend. Going to be difficult going back to a “full size” bass…

2 Likes

Yeah this is what I found - the original setting lacked something. I guess I was a bit over keen :slight_smile: Really loving the bass though :+1:

1 Like

I had that problem at first too, but once I got re-accustomed to the length and weight of the full scale, I’m able to go back and forth between the two with ease.

2 Likes

BTW, @Ed do you have this tool? It’s essential to have if you own a Hofner. It makes raising and lowering the floating bridge a breeze. Perfect for adjusting string height.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs dang…wish I knew about that before! No more keeping hofner secrets :wink: …getting one of these asap!

3 Likes

OMG, I have that and didn’t even think of using it on my Gretsch floating bridge!
Thank you @PamPurrs !

4 Likes

[quote=“PamPurrs, post:16, topic:25101”]
do you have this tool [/quote]
Oo no I don’t. Thanks - this could really come in handy with the Rick too. I think I might be able to get one in the shop round the corner … :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Oh yes? One of the German models?

2 Likes