Problem with my pick

So I got a set of picks today and something I’ve noticed whilst practicing with a pick is that unlike every single recording I’ve heard with a pick, I have this weird scratching/grinding noise that’s caused by the pick scratching against the surface of the strings. I’m not sure if it’s my technique or what but if anyone can help me make this go away, please do.

5 Likes

I’m playing with pick, I’m using Dunlop Tortex .88 and the sound is flawless, no scratch or watever noise.

5 Likes

I’m using a .96mm from a company called Tiger, who are the same people that made my strap. I don’t know what the material is though.

3 Likes

It could be the type of strings, are they metalic looking with rings? Of more smooth looking roundish?
Or technic, like when playing the same note, do you have a buzz then as well, without a pick? (Do you mute the strings correctly ?)
Or the type of pick, are they heavy thick of tiny smal and thin?

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure I mute correctly. And my strings are round wound.

4 Likes

.96 is something I don’t use, mines are 1.5 might be the difference?

4 Likes

I reckon these could be celluloid picks you are using, they are fairly plasticy and hard. Try a different material, maybe a nylon? I have the Tortex @yann1337 mentioned too, they work well for me too.

4 Likes

I’m using Piglet picks which are mega thick .
I’m wondering if your pick might be flexing too much and possibly dragging on the strings?

3 Likes

This sounds like technique to me. Are you doing the course here at bassbuzz? Josh has a few pick technique lessons later in the course - you could try to skip ahead and watch those?

5 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t have the course right now.

1 Like

I don’t think Josh has a free pick video. but this might help:

4 Likes

I just checked and there’s a good chance they could be celluloid. I’m not too bothered by the sound for now though, since all I’m focused on is getting good with a pick. Maybe sometime in the future I’ll upgrade to nylon.

4 Likes

If you can post a video of you playing some real slow, simple parts, then getting more complex, it would help.

The scratch is almost always caused by the angle of the pick.
If you’re not going straight across the string, you get extra scrape.

It’s usually the angle of the pick. Try just playing open strings, and keep turning the pick different angles to the string until you get it to cross the string with a clean tone. You’ll always get scrape, that’s part of the pick sound, but you should be able to control how much scrape you get with the angle.

5 Likes

Ok. Hang on. I just need to tune my bass, turn on my amp etc.

2 Likes

Here’s a video of me plucking an open E.
https://youtu.be/D_a3hYOeYQM
And here’s a photo of how I hold the pick.

1 Like

Hi everyone. I forgot to mention that I also have a set of Alice 1mm picks that don’t scratch. Silly me! :yum:

1 Like

After playing with them, I’ve found out that they do scratch. So I’m still screwed.

1 Like

I think I’ve finally figured it out. I was just plucking at the wrong angle. After straightening my pick so that it’s at an exact right angle to my thumb, I found that the scratching was still there but it was just reduced and you can’t hear it over the sound of the strings.

1 Like

Turns out it had nothing to do with the angle of the pick. The Alice picks are just made with a better material.

1 Like

I was wrong again. The scratching on the Alice picks is caused by the grip of the pick scratching against the strings. So I just need to play with the tip of the pick. Hopefully this is the last reply I have to make in this topic.

2 Likes