Profile Picture

Hi guys,

I just noticed that my profile picture is always reverted. It looks like an account connection to another service is overwriting, Could that be?
If so, to which services is this forum linked to?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

1 Like

I had the same problem for awhile. I notified @JoshFossgreen and he had Bassbot take care of it.

2 Likes

I had the same issue, no matter how often I told the BassBuzz forum engine to use a pic uploaded from my PC, with the next login it had reverted to the Gravatar image.

For those who want to fix the issue themselves:
Gravatar is a service that lets you save various email addresses and then assign a profile picture to them, so that every time you use that email to register somewhere, the profile picture will automatically be used.
You can assign various photos to each email you utilise on Gravatar, and then choose which of the library pics will be used for all accounts you have registered with that mail.

To change those settings, go to the Gravatar Landing Page and log in with your user credentials.
You will then be presented with a list of all the emails you have registered with Gravatar and the photo libraries assigned to each mail address.
Choose which photo to use for a specific email address from now on (or upload a new pic and set it as default) and save your choice.

You will see that now your profile pic on BassBuzz has changed to the proper photo … and it will not change to any other photo again, until you assign a new pic to that mail address on Gravatar.

4 Likes

Dear Sir,

receive this kiss :kissing_heart:

THANKS!

3 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome.

2 Likes

Anyone know how to fix this now that Gravatar is trying to make me log in with a Wordpress account, without me needing to sign up for a Wordpress account ever again in my whole life? I no longer even know what joke I was responding to ten years ago with this picture of a whale (my own artwork, at least) that says I AM MOBY.

2 Likes

Go to your profile pic in the upper right corner and click on it; choose the “person” icon at the end of the list and then choose “Preferences” - that should give you the possibility to edit your profile pic and other stuff :smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve done that multiple times, but like the original poster in this thread, the pic is resetting every login to the old Gravatar picture.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear. I guess I didn’t quite catch your actual challenge here… Have you tried to reach out to a moderator? (@Chris ? @Gio ? @JoshFossgreen ?)

1 Like

Thanks for tagging me @joergkutter ! Sorry that’s happening @crumpet , Gravatar is so weird sometimes. I still don’t really understand what its function is. I’ll reach out to tech wizards and see if they have any advice.

2 Likes

Thanks, I hadn’t reached out yet. I thought a quick forum search to see if it had come up before might be useful, but hopefully one of the mods mentioned can help me out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! (Edit: I think people thought Gravatar was a good thing in …2013 or so, but now, not so much.)

2 Likes

I think its sole function was to allow blogs to not have to host avatars for everyone that might post comments. And then people kept using it.

2 Likes

@crumpet , have you tried changing it from Wordpress.com ? AFAIK there’s no way to disable Gravatar in the Discourse forum software.

Lol @howard , maybe if we send Gravatar a fax to their Myspace page with a link to a 2005 personal development blog telling them to close up shop they’ll get the hint :crazy_face:

EDIT: I unchecked an “automatically download Gravatars” box in site settings, maybe that’ll keep it from overriding manual profile pic choices.

6 Likes

Thanks. Hopefully that will work! I was trying to avoid signing up to Wordpress again if I could at all help it.

Edit: I’ve just uploaded a different profile pic. Will report back tomorrow!

2 Likes

Looks like it’s fixed to me!

3 Likes

It’s definitely worked!

1 Like

I spoke too soon. Changed back again.

1 Like