Project Basses

especially on a Squier or Fender, that’s for certain !

Yeah I can understand that …

I’m sure that an upgraded Rascal can be a very good bass.

2 Likes

One more thing. The pickups have two single coils each. Maybe wire it with a 5 way switch like a Strat instead of a blend? That could be cool

1 Like

not sure, I’d go for a blend pot I think. But your idea might be worth a try !

1 Like

I didn’t expect that. I figured it was going to be like two P pickups under those pickup covers.

I like the stock sound of the Rascal and because of the design, I don’t feel cramped playing it like I usually do on a short scale.

1 Like

You might be right; I am never going to be a lead bassist, the blend is probably all the tone I need

1 Like

It remembers me that I’ve done this post a few times ago : Blend pot : how and why?

I used my Ibanez hollow body to show the mod, but I plan to change the wiring again. My new idea is that the neck pickup will always be ON (100%) and the blend pot will be replaced for a volume pot for the bridge pickup only. Then there will still be the master volume and tone. The reason is that I never use the bridge pickup only, or at a higher level than the neck pickup. This way I’ll have some kind of “half blend” (only the ability to blend the bridge pickup added to the neck pickup) and the benefit would be that the pot curve will be twice the angle of the current MN pot. Not a huge improvement for sure, but it should optimize the bass a little bit for how I use it.

Not saying that you should do that too, I just wanted to share a recent though.

5 Likes

Or you could use stacked pots and have individual tone and volume for each pickup.

1 Like

Curses. Now I’m rethinking. I could do volume/volume and tone. On this bass, at least with the stock pickups, the bridge pup soloed is a really nice tone, MMish

2 Likes

I hate stacked pots actually so I’ll do everything to avoid them :grin: Those stacked pots always confuse me and seem unnecessarily hard to handle to me.

Also I’ve never been sure of the real utility of having a separate tone for each pickup, because the low-pass filters will cumulate when the pickups are used together (pickups in parallel = low pass filters in parallel too) so a master tone seems a much better way to go in my opinion.

And also I really like a master volume because that’s some kind of security kill switch in case of feedback or other need to mute the instrument. So the separate volume pots for each pickup don’t work for me.

And also the less pots the better :grin:

What I say is a sum up of many years of trying to understand my own use of the instruments. I know that some players like to have the most tonal possibilities out of an instrument but I really prefer something easy to use and rational. But that’s just me :v::grin:

Yeah the classic JB thing. At least it’s comprehensive but personnally I’d prefer volume/blend/tone. Depends if a master volume is something important for you, or not !

2 Likes

Squier PJ refurb

My son brought this one home from school. It’s been there a while and hasn’t played well since we got a set up from a local shop. This was about 6 months ago. This was his first bass. Bought off amazon 6-7 years ago. I had a squier MIJ neck and decided to swap the neck and redo the electronics. Bought the Geezer Butler PJ set. Also, found a good deal on a high mass fender bridge.

I was hoping to not have to solder, unfortunately found out that it has one of the longer input jacks and the one in the kit won’t work, so I’m going to have to solder. Wish me luck. Also, found out that the bridge pickup wasn’t going to fit. So, I bought a Dremel and got to work.

Got the bridge pickup in, didn’t take much Dremel work, and it now fits nicely. I’m waiting on a new input jack. Should be here tomorrow. Also, the pickup set was missing a part, so after an easy interaction with EMG customer support, that part is now on the way. Pictures of progress so far. Also, one of my helper…

5 Likes

On my Rascal I’m going for volume/tone/blend. If I had to do it over again, I would have done that on the Mustang. Still might

4 Likes

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

On the upside my pickups are in the mail and on the way. May have them Saturday, which is before the pots and stuff get here.

On the other hand, Scott at Stonewall tells me the middle position on the 5 way switch, which takes a coil from each pickup and “makes” a third humbucker, gives the best sound in his testing of them.

3 Likes

Got it all put together, this one was a little more than just putting on different parts. A little bit of soldering, had to route out some space for the bridge pick up, pickguard didn’t fit over the neck pickups, so had to do some dremel work on that too, missing parts in the geezer butler pick up set (emg send me all I needed after one email), but finally done except for knobs, but those are on order….

10 Likes

EMG makes nice pickups, nice job there. Only if they sent the knobs too… but I don’t like their knobs anyway.

Good choice

3 Likes

Rascal Build update.

The pickups arrived today. These are massive pickups. Each one weighs ~9 or 10 oz. Can’t wait to see how they play. The packaging was good, nice to see things labeled. The neck pickup has an N on the back, the Bridge a B.

The bridge has a higher output than the neck. Next weekend I think is when the Rascal Job will take place.

One of my bass parts will be late, USPS sent me a message that due to hazardous weather they could not deliver. I shot this picture when I received that message.

9 Likes

@Wombat I just had another idea for your wiring on the Rascal. it could be Volume / Blend / Tone , and one of the pots (Tone) would be a push-pull or push-push that would split the pickups. So you would have both the benefits of the blend pot, and the ability to use the pickups as single coils.

4 Likes

That sounds really cool.

1 Like

I hope that @Al1885 and @howard doesn’t read this - but @Wombat-metal should :slight_smile:

THESE ARE JUST THOUGHTS FOR NOW - don’t read this if I have driven you crazy before!

Still there? Prepare to be flabbergasted!

So, this night I dreamed about short scale basses and came up with some crazy ideas. Lately, I always seem to solve stuff in my dreams…

Why not ignore everything I learned about existing short scale basses in the last few months and just return to my original idea: getting a cheap but good short scale bass and mod the hell out of it.

As my budget increased somehow, I can even mod two basses of the same model and create two very different basses:

• either a fretted P/J and a fretless P/J
  • or a fretted P/J and a fretted 2 humbuckers.

FRETLESS
I know that making a fretted bass fretless needs some effort, but it can be done. It’s not rocket science - just need to be patient and focussed.

TWO HUMBUCKERS
I am not looking forward to routing a bass body to change P/J to two humbuckers. But I am volunteer in a social project where we “fix” stuff for the poor or environmentally minded.
I am the computer guy, but we have some wood workers in that group. And access to all kind of machinery…
So, with some help and the right tools this should be doable!

Does it make sense? Who knows? Will it be fun and exciting? You bet! Is there a risk? Yep - but no risk, no fun!

When I woke up I quickly created an Excel sheet with the options, to reflect my dream.
This is what it looks like:

Again, it’s just a brainstorming with myself (and you) thing. But it feels kind of exciting, especially the Humbucker option…

In terms of colour I would get the purple-ish one for P/J fretted and the green or blue one for fretless or humbucker

3 Likes

Interesting

2 Likes

“Interesting” as in “WTF are you doing??!”

1 Like