Project Basses

Just on the top coat of clear so they have come out with a little polish. The imprint of whatever I laid the bass down on is proving to be more stubborn.
Really should take my time and chill the f**k out tbh. It’s times like this I sort of appreciate the impact of the TBI on my general day to day life.

4 Likes

I’ve had a few episodes like this painting motorcycle parts over the years. Like the time I messed up the clear coat on a multicolour flame job. :crazy_face:

Psychologically, I think it’s sometimes better to just strip off the finish back to bare metal, plastic, wood, prep it properly and start again.

7 Likes

I need enough cavity for the two SIMs pickups (like Mark Smith has), which is a pretty big space, so routing regardless but the less I have to do the better. The pre-amp SIMs recos, and where I would start is a 3 band with 5 knobs in total. There are 2 toggles for the pickups as well. Happy to drill holes but need a good amount of cavity for all that.

Once all that stuff moves to the other bass, I will use this one as a ‘pickup/preamp playground’, but doubt anything will need more space.

4 Likes

Reckon that is certainly on the cards @HowlinDawg

2 Likes

This bass may fit the bill:

HB MM-84A

5 Likes

That’s quite impressive for its price

4 Likes

Yeah seriously

4 Likes

that is PERFECT…is Harley Benton a primarily european sold thing?
I cannot find that bass for sale anywhere except Thomman, and its 8-10 weeks out.

That said, 1-day shipping is only $66, so this isnt really bad.

5 Likes

HB is Thomann’s house brand, unless I am mistaken.

6 Likes

the 8-10 weeks is the only barrier. If I don’t find anything else in a few days, this is the winner

5 Likes

Yes, it is their house brand. As far as Chinesium knock-offs though, they are generally thought to have really decent quality.

Because the Loonie has gone up and this will thus be cheaper, and if my DIY goes bust, this is the one I’ll be getting as well.

4 Likes

Will put it on order, if i find something quicker I can always cancel.
It’s got good reviews too, which is great.

Thanks @MC-Canadastan

4 Likes

BTW, the one reason I chose this one over other stingray-alikes is that it has a 42mm nut (1.65"), rather than a 38mm one. I preferred the wide one and that’s what I’m going for in the DIY.

I don’t know what width you chose for your custom bass, but it’s something to keep in mind.

3 Likes

Yeah this one looks like a solid, solid choice. Price is right, format and layout is spot on, should work well for your plans.

2 Likes

One last check around…
So delivered to me its $245, which puts these below as contenders I could get much sooner.

Thoughts on these…essentially same price but available… blemished Ray4, Peavy, Sub More routing but available. Quality any worse/better?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Millennium-AC-BXP-Electric-Bass-Guitar-117021456.gc

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sterling-by-Music-Man/Sub-4-Electric-Bass-Guitar-116943829.gc

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sterling-by-Music-Man/Sub-4-Electric-Bass-Guitar-117037614.gc

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sterling-by-Music-Man/Sub-4-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

2 Likes

For this interim project, doesn’t matter, its a testbed basically.

2 Likes

Never owned any of them but I would think those would all be higher quality (parts-wise I mean, not necessarily craftsmanship) than the HB.

3 Likes

So, the Ray4 (blemished) at Guitar Center is $239. I remembered I had $38 is wwbw.com (their sister company) in rewards points, which makes this guy $201 delivered. So, pulled the trigger!
Cheaper than the HB delivered, and 10 weeks sooner.

Thanks all!!

@T_dub, in the end your original suggestion panned out!!!

6 Likes

That sounds like an excellent choice.

5 Likes

Yay! All the small bits and bobs came early.

Now, the first half of the big bits and bobs… the chunks and the Roberts, if you will, came in.

It’s the body. Zeeeee booooooody, vere eeez le body? (snide reference to Back to School Mr. Bean

Here it is:
front

and
back

First observations. I ordered this from Scamazon, but it came direct fom Big Rock Candy Mountain. I ordered polished maple, but received roughed in basswood. This is OK, well sort of, but will change my sanding and polishing regime (more to follow). I love the look of the grain, but there are a few concerns… well, not concerns per se, features, really.

1. If you look at the bridge pickup slot, there is a knot. This is actually an epoxy and wood filled hollow (crap). However, I will rout this out because I’m putting in a big fat MM-style bumhucker so no problem… But if I were to pay more for this, I’d be pissed.
  2. Because this will also be an MM style bumhucker, the bridge slot is a mite too long, because it’s designed for an EMG-style jazz soapbar. Epoxy and wooden shims are your friend there.
  3. All the slots are too shallow, especially for the preamp (i’m going active).
  4. There is no channel for the bridge ground. I will have to make one.
  5. She needs a battery box routed in the back.

Stay tuned.

4 Likes