Pros and cons of a warwick thumb

Hello everyone,
this is my first time in this forum, and it’s very nice to meet you all.
My big question would be to anyone who owns a Warwick thumb, what do you love/hate about them? I noticed them because I am really into slipknot and their deceased bassist Paul gray used one. When I first saw them and heard their sound, I immediately fall in love with them.
I know that I want to buy one day, but I still want to hear the opinions of anyone who owns/ played one, on how they are and if you would recommend them?

4 Likes

Welcome, @Krms25. Glad you’re here.

I don’t have any experience with a Thumb, but a lot of other BassBuzzers do, so they will chime in.

3 Likes

Paging @TNKA36 and @HowlinDawg (IIRC)

3 Likes

Welcome @Krms25 !

2 Likes

Welcome @Krms25 ,
I do have a Warwick neck through Thumb Bass.
They are very well made Basses.
They can be used as either active or passive.
They are very punchy basses. good for Slipknot type of music,
The bass player from Nightwish also uses Warwick Basses.
The body shape is different in the fact that they are concaved on the back.
Probably more suited to a pick than finger playing IMO.
And they are very expensive
Hope this helps,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I’ve never owned one but I’ve read many comments on it being generally heavy and prone to neck dive. Something to consider.

4 Likes

I have a 4 string Bolt on thumb so my opinions are based on that.
Neck through and/or 5 string could be very different.

Build quality is astounding. Really flawless, and I’m a fussy bastid!
Fit, finish and materials are all top notch.

The MEC pickups and preamp work well both in passive and active mode, although I would prefer the three way EQ preamp over the two way that mine has.

The pickup positions are quite unique and are different between the 4 string and 5 string versions. The pro of this is that unique sound. The con of this is that unique sound. :wink:
This probably comes off as a bit cliche but nothing sounds like a thumb and a thumb sounds like nothing else.

I like the ergonomics, they work for me but I know that some people dislike the way the bass sits. I wear the bass high, slightly elevated from horizontal with the neck painted away from me at an angle. Work like this it stays nicely balanced on me. But if you like to wear your bass low on a long strap or with the neck pointed upwards, then the neck will tend to dive. The bass also sits more to the left than most which makes the lower frets a slightly longer stretch than normal. I think this is all down to the short stubby top horn where the strap mounts.

That’s about all I can think of for the moment.
I love mine, it puts a smile on my face every time I play it and it’s going nowhere.

8 Likes

OK, thank you so much for that info^^. Now i will save Up some Money to buy one someday, really want one mainly because of Paul Gray ( because you f him I started Bass playing) and also a Bit of Ryan Martine . I dont know your influences but we be cool to know what yourse are^^

3 Likes

Great basses for sure but definitely try before you buy if you can.
I had a neck thru model and they are very heavy and have a pretty unique sound but that is truly about the only drawbacks I found

3 Likes

Lol for some reason this reminded me of eHarmony back in the day.

4 Likes

FWIW, I think they are beautiful instruments and hate them when strapped on me.
Just a me thing, so like others said…try it if you can.

1 Like

:joy:

2 Likes

Here is a pic of front and back,
Cheers

9 Likes

oh thanks^^, you didn’t have to do that. But my good that Warwick Look beautiful, but the Rick is also Very nice

1 Like

Get a few more lined up that way, and you’ve got Saturday Night Fever times n!

1 Like

That orange bass with the black bolt is just amazing looking!

1 Like

Welcome @Krms25 , hope you will have a great time here, and if you start listening to our opinions you will have much more basses than just Warwick.

Do you already own a bass? If so, which one? Also best thing you can do before buying an expensive bass is try out as many as possible, to find your feel and sound.

Also I see you are in Germany, so you shouldnt have issues coming across Warwick, and here in EU they are much cheaper than in US.

Now my standard question, have you tried MusicMan basses? :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes , I own a Cort Action Bass Pj Opbc V2 right now. And sadly I havent tried a music man in my Life , but i really want to Test them out some day^^

It is a Yamaha RBX200 that I pumped in the Bassbuzz colours.
I bought it for 1 original tuning peg that broke on the first bass I owned.
It has gotah bridge and tuning pegs on it now, the orange and black colour scheme was cut out from vinyl and wrapped onto the bass.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Here is a front and back pic of my Stingray.
This is a very nice bass, well balanced with a really nice smooth neck.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes