Quarantine Bass Ideas

again you do what you want with all that … I think it’s some food for your mind :grin:

3 Likes

I like your jam a lot, super mellow right now, just flows nicely to my ear. Yes, it’s a busy bassline, but, I don’t see it as too much (though maybe I’m entering the same phase as you, I want to emphasize the bass more, not just be always in a supporting role!) And I think that’s just personal style and preference, and totally okay. If playing the sax in the past is influencing you, and you’re hearing melodies in your head, man, just go with it. Worst case is you have to backtrack, but, you get a cool journey in the process. And you’re exercising your creativity, which is so important. Like I said, it’s just a nice mellow tune right now, kind of jazzy to me, like what would be on the jazz radio station I listen to, just some nice, almost lounge-y music to have on.

I have to remind myself to turn off the over-intellectualizing part of my mind many a time :slight_smile: If it feels right to you, it is right!!

4 Likes

@joergkutter - this rules.

Here’s my take on this and any other original material you may come across, think about, write, perform, etc.

The cool thing with original music is that you get to set your artistic goals and make that the focus of the project. You’ve got great bass movement and melody throughout this. I like to try and play appropriately in other peoples projects. In my projects, I get to play how I want to play… and sometimes this means you have to start a duo project, because you don’t leave any room for anyone else (that was me). But this jam here sounds like a great way to compose so that there is ample room for the bass to groove around and have fun with melody and rhythm. The only time anything feels a bit forced are some of the 16th note fills in that first section. I think fills could be cool there, but maybe find some other options. Throughout, the grooves and parts are real solid, they sound like worked out parts for the majority of it, and they’re cool with cool harmonies.
I say bravo, and keep doing more of this.
And if you hear more bass notes, put 'em in, dammit.
Your music = your call.

The sycopated 1/16th note thing is dead on for that Crusaders-ish funky fusion vibe, which it sounds like might be close to the aesthetic of this? I think you made a cool thing, and I think that you could chase this style and vibe to other places and find some real cool things.

Things to work on: Timing. Just lay back, and make sure that you don’t get to the downbeat before the downbeat does. No one likes a bassplayer early to the party. Fashionably late is cool. Right on time is cool. Early?? Nope. Not cool.
I would highly recommend re-recording that beginning section (the only parts that really feel rushed are during the first minute where you’re still loosening up and getting into the track, and particularly after some of those fills) until you feel like you’re really feeling loose and relaxed with the drum beat.

One cool thing to check in on - what is the posture and tension like in your body while you record? Do you hold your breath? I do. I tense up something fierce. When I get a good take it’s because I am breathing deeply, and consciously reminding myself to relax.
Makes a huge difference.

Anyway - thanks a ton for sharing, and I think this is killer, and needs to be followed up by more and more of the same.
Also - I think you should write some tunes that allow for bass melody, or at least allow the bass to harmonize a melody with another instrument. You’ve got the chops and the ear for it - maybe give it a shot?

Kudos.

6 Likes

What I would add is that you’re starting to get really skilled at quickly and cleanly playing up and down in a scale. It’s something I don’t practice as much as I should and you’re way ahead of me there - it sounds pretty dirty when I try fills like that. So well done there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am immensely grateful to the feedback I already received - this is truly what makes this forum and this community so different and so enjoyable! You all bring up aspects that I might not have put as much weight on, but that are worthwhile taking into consideration. I might not agree with everything you said, or implement everything you suggest, but I’d be a fool not to reflect upon what you said and why you mentioned these particular aspects. So, big thanks to @vik, @Gio and @howard (and @terb, of course)!

Yes, upon thinking more about why I play what I do, I realized that this is partly because of the way the guitar player composes. He mainly jams and strings chords together that sound good to him - he is NOT composing a strong melody and then putting the appropriate chords underneath. So, in my mind, when I hear his “sketches”, I apparently feel a need to fill in more melody (and rhythmical accents as well). On the other hand, given where I am in the development as a bass player, I think this is really just perfect.

Yes, a million times :sweat_smile: As a drummer, I was so concerned not to lag, but rushing it (like I do here sometimes) is definitely not cool :sunglasses:

Wow, yes, this is a huge thing, and while we often mainly focus on our fretting and plucking, I think many of us totally overlook this! Whenever I record myself, I tense up significantly (even when it is just a “sketch” or “rough take”). I definitely need to pay much more attention to this!!

Absolutely - I just love melodic (flowing) bass… and I also clearly suffer from this:

…just don’t alienate the drummer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Peter Hook has made a career out of, and is one of the most influential bass players for post-punk and indie/alt-rock, simply because when Bernard Sumner told Hooky he should follow his lead, Hooky replied “How about you fookin’ follow ME?”

So while he is great at playing things like this:

He more usually leads and/or provides a co-melody like this:

and this:

so there is nothing wrong with you leading the guitarist :slight_smile:

This is a bass player who was so influential on Flea that Flea and Frusciante took a year off the RHCP to tour Joy Division covers.

3 Likes

I like that approach :grin:

And, wow, I had no idea that half of the Peppers took a deep-dive into Joy Division’s tunes!!

Speaking of Hook: did you ever get a set of “his” strings??

3 Likes

Yep! Got them:

Haven’t put them on my Yamaha yet as I was sidetracked by BEADing my Warwick :slight_smile:

3 Likes

YES.

:grin:

3 Likes

Joerg that’s really good I enjoyed it, well done @joergkutter
Jamie

2 Likes

Thanks, @Jamietashi - lots to learn for me from this one :smile:

1 Like

After having read some posts about getting together on Zoom, I thought I’d link a video by Youtube bass player Charles Berthoud here.
It was originally called The Biggest EVER Quarantine Collab, then he renamed it for some reason.
I find this very impressive.

Exactly one month later, he posted The Biggest EVER Bass Collab.

Both videos have some amazing moments, I think.
Some really skilled editing here.

1 Like