Question about a 4 string jazz pickup and a 5 jazz pickup

I have extra 4 string P/J bass pickups. Well I have a Rogue series three LX205B 5 string. Friday I installed the strings. Before I did that. I replaced the rubber under the split coils. My questions are first off. How would you pull the cover off it?

Without doing what my rookie mistake I did. Second… If the 4 string pickups and the 5 string are the same size. Would the 4 string pickups work im a 5 string. Both pickups are the exact same size

1 Like

If it’s a bar magnet and you happen to know how long or how much it covers then it should be ok. If it’s pole magnets then your strings would not line up. If I understand your question correctly.

2 Likes

It will slide perfectly in the same place as the original pickup. Even the split coil Pbass style pickup. Slides perfectly in the original 5 string pickup holes. The nut on my 4 string Generic Pbass is damn near the same size as my 5 string.

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it.

1 Like

Did I read it right that both 4 string and 5 string have the same size pickups. If it is then it would work definitely. That would be very smart as they would have much less sku# to work with and keep things simple.

1 Like

Yes you did.

Here’s a picture of my very first Rogue LX200B fretless and my Rogue LX205B. They are identical except one has 4 strings and is more black. While the other has more of a grey color, and 5 strings. Also the Rogue name is on the head of my old fretless.

1 Like

Not usually, a 5 string has an extra set of pole pieces. Some like a Bartolini p pup might look the same externally but under the cover they have different magnets.

2 Likes

Sealed pickups are a little different as they usually use bar magnets so you don’t really have to worry about the string placement.

Sealed or not, it doesn’t matter that much… pole pieces/magnets do not have to line up exactly with the strings, their job is just to magnetize the strings.

Here’s the Bart

1 Like