Question about metronomes

Hi gang: curious about metronome and timekeeping. I play in a country group and we seem to slow down mid-song on a few of the tunes we play. I’m just curious if there’s a way to run an in-ear metronome wirelessly that all four members can listen to in their earbuds? Can it be controlled from a central location like the drum throne where the drummer sets the tempo and starts it in our ears. The only metronomes I’m familiar with at my level of experience are the audible click versions played on your phone which of course are audible to the audience and get drowned out by the music. Thanks!

3 Likes

Yes. It’s called a click track. Should be able to Google it and sort how to technically solve.

Believe it or not, some big name bands use them all the time, but it’s more for insuring they are in perfect time with lighting and explosions et al (think KISS).

That said, y’all should turn to the drummer and shake your heads at her/him (cheaper option). :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Yes, yes, yes ^^^ this!

It could also be run by the members themselves. Our keyboard players usually use it with either MacBook or iPad Pro. Sometimes the drummer would do it. I tried several version but the simplest click with accent works the best. I can choose how loud the click in my iem.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend having a click piped to ALL of you… that is overkill and not necessary; and potentially detrimental. If you decide you need this, it’s probably up to you (as the bassist) or the drummer to get a click track in your ears and the rest of the band follows.

That said, I don’t see a problem with a band slowing down or speeding up during a tune; unless it’s excessive and “spiraling out of control” :wink: It’s just a natural consequence of playing together, getting excited or, sometimes, being worried about a difficult part.

Many tunes from the 70s (before they used click tracks) “suffer” from not keeping the initial tempo all the way through a recording. No biggie… (unless, like John said, it is about sync’ing with effects or video etc.)

PS: playing to a click isn’t everyone’s favorite thing to do - it takes practice. Also, if the tune has (composed) parts in different tempi and or ritardando or accelerando type passages, then a click is not helping at all (unless, again, it is programmed to also follow these time modulations).

4 Likes

I have yet to have the fortune to play in a band scenario, so my input may be moot, but I was thinking…

For whatever that’s worth, of course. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks john. Yes I knew about click tracks, we use those at church but it’s done through a wired in system where you’re connected physically by cords. Just thinking there has to be a wireless click track system out there somewhere.

1 Like

There’s a charm in the imperfections of live performances. Play too perfect and it feels soulless.

But when you have choreography and effects, it’s useful. Or when you sing to a different rhythm to the band like here to help from getting dragged offbeat. Here is what it sounds like - Su-metals in ears

It’s not constant

5 Likes

There is the Soundbrenner Pulse, that is a wearable that you can wear like a watch and that you can set to whatever beat you like.
You can sync up to five of those watches together.

1 Like

I think the search term “wireless in ear monitors” will turn up what you want. The in ear monitors don’t care what you put into them, your own voice, instruments, click.

1 Like

Pretty sure many and maybe most drummers use them.

1 Like

I would avoid these. @JoshFossgreen tested these out in a video and showed how inconsistent they are.

1 Like

In the future, would you mind not erasing the question? Others may search for it in the future, or read it after it’s been erased, and the answers make less sense if no one knows what the question was… Thanks!

4 Likes

:scream:

2 Likes

Exactly! Holy crap!

2 Likes

Good call @skydvr , I reverted the post for ya @ronnielyons , in the future you can just add a new reply rather than ditching the original question, in case it helps someone in the future!

2 Likes