Question about tuner replacement

It’s just a constant slight annoyance which is enough to frustrate me over a session. It also makes playing while sitting much more of a chore. If I’m standing, the strap negates the dive, but you can still feel it wanting to pull in that top left direction which is distracting. I have the strap set so that things are at the same height sitting or standing so the strap does help while sitting, but it would be great to be able to rest it on my knee without it wanting to dive to the left. Maybe I should pull the trigger on the Moody suede back 4" strap and see if that makes it comfortable enough to not worry over the tuners?

Several things:

• I don’t find that the Sire U5 has any significant neck dive, but your mileage may vary (I use my fretting hand upper arm to rest on the body, so I can play seated without a strap; try experimenting with this)
  • Chrome Hipshots USA mini clovers are perfect on a U5
  • Levy’s makes padded straps in 4- and 4.5-inch widths (I love the 4.5 and use it for all my basses)
  • I use Schaller S strap locks (makes switching the strap from bass to bass quick and easy)
  • If you want to string through the body, get some medium scale strings, e.g., D’Addario EXL160M or heavier gauge EXL170M (I don’t find any advantage/difference in through-body stringing, and don’t use it)
  • Rounds will slap better than Half Rounds (If slapping is a priority to you, get DR Hi-Beams, or similar; but my experience is the Sire U5 is an inherently bright bass given its pickups, Alder body and Maple fingerboard, so nickel rounds will work)
  • Hipshot UltraLite USA min clover tuners are a premium upgrade that offer outstanding tuning precision and feel
3 Likes

They have, kind of. The neoprene/fabric on my neo really grips my hoodie

3 Likes

The SoloStrap Neo was my first strap. It is very thick and it doesn’t shift. That said, I don’t use it much anymore because I don’t like its bulkiness; I find it uncomfortable over time. YMMV

2 Likes

This is all extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to lay out all this info!

1 Like

I’ve tried a few different straps @NoLifeKing and the Neo has been the best for me. It’s a little stiff to start with but it softens up after time.

I play 2-4 hours a night and it’s very comfortable for me but I understand we all have different body shapes. I have quite wide shoulders from work / climbing. So maybe if you’re smaller framed / thin then maybe it’s not a good fit. I bought a second one for my other bass because it’s so comfortable. More info on other great options in the strap thread below.

4 Likes

Ya but they are not marketing it specifically for ‘neck dive’.
There is an opportunity here, develop or use some high tech fabric, give it a fancy name, market it as the neck dive killer.
Collent winnings.

Would you recommend the 4-inch or the 4-inch XL with the extra length? I’m 5’11 and the height I like is basically the same as Josh does it where sitting or standing it’s in the same spot.

@NoLifeKing You don’t need the XL. The standard length works fine.

1 Like

Leaving this here as it seems on point. Dropped today I believe

1 Like

I dealt with mine by changing the tuning machines :rofl:

The hipshots are great. And yes, the extra money is worth it just for machined vs cast alone.

1 Like

I have one too. It’s a great strap, but I haven’t used it since getting the Comfort Strapp Pro Bass. Might want to check it out.

https://comfortstrapp.com/

1 Like

I’m not falling into your trap @howard

2 Likes

I hear the first one is free!

1 Like

*trapp

3 Likes

? :person_tipping_hand:

1 Like

Because it’s called the “Comfort Strapp”, with a double P. Thought I’d extend that to the word “trap” as well. Sorry, my brain works like that :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Thank @Mike_NL I was thinking Guthrie Trapp, Von Trapp :smile:

2 Likes

You wrote that you were looking at Italia Straps. and they were pricey. If you saw the $119 price, that’s for a single. The sale that NEVER GOES AWAY is actually 2 for that price. It’s been that way since I first bought one over 15 years ago. I have Italia on both of my basses, one for a bass that is a week out, and Italia on hand for future purchases (I don’t know what the “wine” color will go on, but it was so damn good looking I was not going to let it get away). Wonderful Italian leather and made after you order.

Edit: I do agree with you. I chose the suede over the leather backing.

3 Likes

Looking on the site it’s really hard to choose, lots of colors I like. Maybe I’ll put that on my birthday wishlist and make do for now. Think the standard is long enough as a 5"11 guy?