Question about tuner replacement

Really happy for you, Booker. Can’t wait to see it.

2 Likes

I got and installed my S-Locks today and it’s made such a difference. It extends the pin coming off the horn enough to change the physics just a bit and it’s really reduced the dive I was feeling. Thanks for the suggestion!

I’m eyeballing these strings as they are the only medium scale steel rounds I can find (besides rotosound which have a 90 E string which seems way too light):

GHS Strings 4 Super Steels, Stainless Steel Bass Strings, Scale, Medium (.044.106) (5500)

Hoping the 106 won’t feel too stiff for the E. Couldn’t find the DR Hi-Beams in medium scale.

1 Like

Maybe I’m the exception to the rule……or exception to the majority…….I don’t mind neck dive because I feel the neck sits more securely in my fretting hand.

1 Like

Absolutely not, if it’s diving then you’re having to hold it with your fretting hand which makes it muuuch harder to do finger reaches. It’s also like you’re constantly having to fight it to keep it level which is infuriating. Dunno how you handle it.

2 Likes

Yeah - you don’t want your fretting hand to have to support the bass at all.

In fact if the bass is properly set up you should even be able to fret notes without touching the back of the neck at all. Which is actually a good warm up exercise if you have death grip issues (common for beginners)

2 Likes

Hmmmmm………works for me. I have no problems moving around the fretboard, fingering notes, speed, hand or arm fatigue.
A lot of people say that there are many things about playing bass that are neither right nor wrong, just what is best for the player. It is what is best for me.
If it is that much of an issue with the majority of players, maybe it would be a good idea for those who design bass guitars to rework the “standard” shape of a bass guitar so that neck dive is eliminated………:thinking:
No, I’m not a beginner with “death grip” issues. I have been playing since 1976.
No, it’s not like I’m holding a cinder block in my fretting hand.
The neck on my bass just sits in my fretting hand with just the right amount of pressure so that I can “feel” exactly where I am on the neck….I was taught to not look at the neck when I play. Having the right amount of pressure on my fretting hand, in conjunction with muscle memory, lets me know exactly where I am on the fret board without looking at it.
That’s just me. I’ve been playing too long to change my belief in how I like the neck to feel in my hand, thank you very much! :grin::+1:

2 Likes

If more would make the bottom strap button to the left instead of directly aligned with the fretboard it wouldn’t be an issue (at least while wearing a strap).

Like this one: