Question of plucking hand placement for Rick owners

Having great fun getting acquainted with my latest acquisition but I’m starting to remember the hassle I had deciding where to rest my thumb on my plucking hand especially when playing the E string.
So can any Rick players ( @John_E or @Ed off the top of my head) give me an insight as to where they rest their thumbs please before I splash out on some sort of aftermarket thumb rest

2 Likes

Treble Bezel

Check dimensions. Even with my ‘72 Rick I had to do some modifying. Get black as you can sand, file dremel it.

I got the one with the little indent in it but I was thinking of changing to the flat one. It’s a wee too low.

4 Likes

Thanks @John_E . On the hunt now

1 Like

Makes you wonder why Rickenbacker didn’t address that obvious design flaw… or is it a feature? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

There’s a bit of scandal surrounding the treble bezel as it happens.
The original version as per @John_E link was designed and produced by a small family run company not linked with Rickenbacker.
Shortly after production began Rickenbacker brought out an exact copy they sourced out to a Chinese manufacturer at around half the price.
Very strange when Rickenbacker actively chase producers of copies of their instruments many of whom are based ironically in China for copyright breaches and yet they are quite comfortable using someone else’s design and cheap labour if it suits

4 Likes

Ooo have you bought a new Rick?

(Searches forum …)

Ooo - Nice! It’s got the Rick shape and I reckon you could swap out the pickups for the originals if you want. How does it sound?

I use a pick most of the time on mine but otherwise I have a thumb rest with my pickguard. Before then I used to rest the thumb on the corner of the fretboard. But John’s triple bezel looks like it could do the job if you want a crisper sound :ok_hand:

Soooo… when we gonna see some covers :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @Ed . The pick guard looks very interesting :thinking: Where might one acquire such a thing of beauty? It might sway me away from trying to find a brass one
Yeah I couldn’t stretch to a real Rick but this will definitely do for now. I’m already looking at swapping pickups possibly for the Seymour Duncan ones but that will be a gradual process especially after discovering that due to a backlog I’ll have to buy my own firefighting boots until the new kit arrives in around 3 months!
As for how she sounds, definitely growls but the pickups seem to have a low output.
I will be recording at some point in the near future . Honest :grin:

2 Likes

Can’t wait! :smiley:

I got the pickguard from Alperious pickguards - the man’s got some pretty incredible guards on his site…

You’re a firefighter? Badass.

1 Like

Volunteer in training @Ed . Live in a high risk area so thought it was only right I did my bit :crazy_face:

Thanks for the link. I’m going to look now and try not to buy

2 Likes

:metal:

1 Like

Hey, one of my sons just was sworn in as a firefighter this month, after he finished their training program. He also completed paramedic training in a different program right before being hired, passed the certification test, and was hired as a paramedic. So after an obligatory period as a regular firefighter, he will be assigned to a paramedic job. He is currently doing the low man on the totem pole type jobs at the station (mostly cleaning up stuff), and worked on his first fire on the job recently - hosing down a car completely on fire.

I give my sincere appreciation for all firefighters and other first responders. Thank you all very much for your hard work!

1 Like

That’s fantastic @Never2Late ! Being a paramedic is something I would love to have aspired to but I’m too long in the tooth now.
Please pass my congratulations on to your son

Thank you! We attended the graduation ceremony, and are very proud of him.

1 Like