Quick Guide to Buying MIJ Instruments From Japan

Yeah, it wouldn’t make sense for most purchases but if you are tracking down something rare or very expensive it could save a lot of time and hassle.

2 Likes

I’m in the 'states and currently contemplating a Japanese purchase but…do I need to visit the U.S customs web site for an overview on duties/VAT or whatever fees are charged for imports? is there a general "rule of thumb " on fee’s ?? … or did I miss that somewhere in this thread? Thanks for the insight into buying from Japan @howard .

2 Likes

More than that, its quite simple.
Under $800 - no duty
Over $800, ~4.3% (think of it as half sales tax, at least if you live in NY, lolol)

4 Likes

I bought a Fujigen (FGN) from Reverb seller Kurosawa Music a few years ago, transaction was very simple and shipping from Japan was within a few days, including customs. My only issue is buying some of these Japanese brands is sight unseen, there’s no local way of trying these out before hand.

2 Likes

Nice! Excellent brand, and Kurosawa is a great chain. Glad they make it simple with a reverb shop.

1 Like

That is true, but the build quality is superior, and easy enough to change pickups if the sound isn’t quite there, you have a great foundation

2 Likes

I would say it will be safer than ordering from Sweetwater - in my experience here it’s unlikely a reputable chain will let a bad instrument out the door. But @rfreiberger has a good point about the sight unseen part - you won’t know if you like the instrument until you try it. Same goes for any mail order, but returns are prohibitive in this case and for MIJ the warranty most likely only covers usage in Japan.

1 Like

I should preface any reply I make to a mail order post that I am totally comfortable with mail order because I have little other choice living where I am.

Also GC and it’s subsidiaries are also a good choice, you have a 45 day window to drive up to a store and return mail orders no hassle. So if your local GC doesn’t have it, order it. Forgiving return policy

2 Likes

Yeah, for buying from overseas, returns are not really a thing for the price ranges we are talking about.

1 Like

Thanks @howard but
Seriously, life would be a whole lot easier and sweeter if you can be our agent lol.

2 Likes

It would be a sweet retirement gig but frankly I would charge too much :rofl:

3 Likes

Interesting you didn’t say no, :joy:

3 Likes

I believe that translates as a “no.”

4 Likes

It’s basically a no in Japanese yeah

5 Likes

We’d buy you tofu donuts…

3 Likes

In all seriousness, if Danny Stewart (linked above) is any good, he looks like a great option for this; there is no way I would charge so little.

Never used him myself but apparently @matt.g.ward.esq has (or at least he recommended him).

1 Like

Many thanks to @howard for this exceptionally informative post.

If anyone from the UK is interested in buying from Japan, from my research on the HMRC website, it looks as though we pay no import duty for musical instruments imported from Japan:

Therefore, we ‘only’ have to pay 20% VAT plus the clearance fee that the courier (Royal Mail, DHL, etc.) charge for the paperwork. In my own experience this is between £10 and £12.

Now is a great time to buy from Japan as £1 is about JPN Y 163 (it was about Y100 to the £ last time I was there in 2019).

2 Likes

I messaged him about my last KOA special edition Aerodyne. He’s in the “year or more camp”. I told him that was fine as I don’t want to miss it when it comes up if not on eBay or reverb.

2 Likes

Thanks for the excellent write-up, @howard!

Shortly I will own one more bass. :smile:

2 Likes

So I haven’t met Danny yet but have been chatting and following for a few years. Very honest straight up guy.

I sometimes see his playing and wonder why he isn’t on a stage every night.

He is always quick to respond and has had his hands on many many basses so he is a good reference.

2 Likes