Quick Guide to Buying MIJ Instruments From Japan

If I can add anything to this amazing thread, I will simply say that I have over the years, purchased no less than 75 instruments from Japan. I would estimate 95% of these purchases have been via Yahoo Auction.

With only ONE exception, every instrument I have purchased has been delivered in the condition described in the ad. I find Japanese sellers to be honest and pretty forthcoming.
The ONE exception was my fault as I chose (only once ever!) to ship via surface (as versus air) and the bass had a nasty bang on the top of the headstock. I was gutted but realized I had been taking a risk.

Even when I lived in Japan, I tended towards Yahoo Auction purchases and I wasn’t far from Ochanomizu. I LOVE visiting the area.

I am heading back to Japan for 3 weeks in April (my wife and all her family live in Tokyo/Kawasaki area). I am going to spend a full day in Ochano and see what bass lands in my hands for the flight home. Anyone looking to grab a beer/coffee while I am there, please let me know!

3 Likes

I can’t speak to the local/national duty etc. where you are but in my experience, the prices of instruments in Japan factor in the need to shipping and customs. The Japanese Fender basses are generally hundreds cheaper that the same bass on Reverb with an US/Can seller.

2 Likes

7doc12

2 Likes

Yeah the problem isn’t so much the sellers, it’s just that Mercari is overall a much nicer experience in my experience and also does have some facility for complaint arbitration. Not that I have ever had any complaints. The pricing on Mercari is also way more reasonable in my experience.

The selection on Yahoo is more broad for sure.

Agree that Japanese sellers are in general very conscientious and polite.

You bet! I’m up in Setagaya but probably easiest to meet up somewhere central.

2 Likes

So here is an interesting example of buying from Japan right now.

I recently sold my cheapo low A bari sax and looking for a high end replacement.
I have it down to the top of the line Yanagisawa or Yamaha, but haven’t played either and don’t want to invest so much without trying each. A work trip to Japan may just be in my future, but doing some homework in advance.

Yanagisaway BWO-20 - top of the line bronze low A bari sax
US $12,990 + 8.375% tax = $14,077
JP $6,972 +4.3% duty (delivered) = $7,271

Savings = $6,805

I have a Yani rep friend who can get it for me for $9,800 wtih no tax, and I still save $3,000.

The moral of the story…

3 Likes

Return trip to Tokyo; $1500 perhaps??

Still in the black!

3 Likes

@John_E , I could be wrong; and, it’s easier to ask then check. I could be missing exactly how the conversation went a few weeks ago, but I thought that you felt there was no notable difference in the sound of “boutique” or “higher-cost” basses. IF that is the case, would that not hold true for saxophones? Not a knock, I like the high-end, and want to see that BWO-20 in your hands, but I thought I remembered that opinion (which I disagree with… Gawd, please don’t let that thread start again).

This does not hold true for saxophones.
There’s a lot more going on in a sax vs a bass.

Higher end saxes have more overtones and more complex tonal centers etc. cheaper ones tend to sound thin, is what I’d call it. This is not a foo-Foo thing that only pros can hear. It’s rather apparent. They also generally are not intonated well across the design, meaning you are looping each note into tune and having to remember or ear it as you play to have each note be in tune. High end saxes are designed better and generally are spot on across the horn out of the box (like the WO20). Also, many notes rely on multiple keys/pads linkages to get a note in tune, which brings us to the other consideration, build.
An average (good) overhaul costs $1500 for a sax, bari closer to $2000. You want to do these as infrequent as possible. A high end sax with a good overhaul will last a daily playing pro 5-10 years with some minor pad work , me, a lifetime. Not so on cheaper horns. They also don’t travel as well.
Cheap saxophone are constructed with cheaper pads and mechanics/metals etc and don’t hood their overhauls as well or as long. Or go out of intonation as things leak or shift or timings seltzer to go in the linkages.
My Jupiter low A bari cost me $1100 used. It was ok to start on but sounded thin and

5 Likes

Layman understandable. Thank you.

1 Like

I still have my Fisher Price sax @booker_t I’m turning down work left right and center with this thing. Classic design.

12 Likes

I like this! I might have better luck on this than I do on the bass. Four strings as opposed to the three colourful easy to find keys! I’m all in! Nice find!

1 Like

Shortly I will own one more bass. :smile:

The bass has arrived from Japan, three days (!!) after I ordered it.
It is such a good bass.
Very happy with Kurosawa Gakki.
Thanks again @howard for the recommendation!

3 Likes

My pleasure! What did you get?

1 Like

I haven’t browsed Reverb on the Japanese basses but the basic FGN Jazz bass really looks good. FGN KNJB10RAL -Pale Blue- 4.77kg | Reverb
Wish they had this in sonic blue but that mint color is amazing.

3 Likes

That just reminded me of this guy I saw called Kid Carpet about 15 years ago in a pub in Bristol. He played his entire set only using children’s plastic toy instruments.

One of the maddest and most fun gigs / nights in the pub I’ve ever had. I still have the CD he was selling at the end of the night somewhere.

1 Like

great write-up, thx

2 Likes

Jimmy Fallon does a series with “classroom instruments” that’s amazing.

1 Like

It’s amazing because of the Roots, who can apparently make great music with anything.

3 Likes

Mike Portnoy has been doing covers with a Hello Kitty drum kit for ages.

3 Likes

Well I have bought a FGN Neo Classic Jazz bass from Kurosawa for $504USD. The same bass on Ikebe goes for $634

My FGN Mighty Power goes for $829 on Kurosawa, but is $728 in Ikebe

Seems the pricing is not uniform

2 Likes