Quick question about modes

Yes, I am also leaning towards a mistake in copy-pasting etc. :wink:

4 Likes

I see the problem.
He copy pasted the scale notes behind the notes going down the Mode list . He did not reorder them.

He left the notes for C major behind G, and D behind A
You just need to ignore all the scales that are written after the G and A and B, etc…

5 Likes

Yeah that makes sense. Simple mistake.

Someone that owns the course (I do not own this one) should mail Mark. He’ll fix it.

4 Likes

I feel it’s mostly because people (including myself) make it harder than it really is. Not just modes, but music in general.

5 Likes

I emailed him hope i explained myself well.

6 Likes

Well looks like another pothole filled in on the wonderful road we call music theory :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Interesting.

Just to fix this for you:
In the key of G major with the ordering as listed above you get:

MODE 4 - C LYDIAN C D E F# G A B
MODE 5 - D MIX D E F# G A B C
MODE 6 - E AEOLIAN E F# G A B C D
MODE 7 - F# LOCRIAN F# G A B C D E

MODE 1 - G IONIAN G A B C D E F#
MODE 2 - A DORIAN A B C D E F# G
MODE 3 - B PHRYGIAN B C D E F# G A

A mode will be named after its home / root note.
G (ANYMODEHERE) will always start on G.

The ordering of the modes will always be in the order:
1 - Ionian 2 - dorian, etc.

The beginning of the G major modes and starting from C is a mistake, and is really too bad.

All of the modes of G major above were spelled correctly (they had the correct notes from G major in them) but they were mislabeled.

I don’t know if my re-labeling is at all helpful.
Hope it is.

9 Likes

Thankyou @Gio

3 Likes

Yeah, very helpful.
You said what I was trying to say, but in a way that is much easier to understand and is not missing any points of information.

2 Likes

Not the only mistake in Marks content.
Just found another in Walking Bass course, module 2 - lesson 20
He copied and pasted line 2 to line 3
but
but changed the Notation in the last 2 bars, but forgot to change the tabs to match.

His courses are still great, and aside from a cpl mistakes, well worth it.
I wonder if there are corrections already planned for the new website launch on the 1st of June?

Line #1

Line #2

Line #3

The D on the G string fret 7 is correct, but then it goes back to the D string, fret 10-8-7 (C-B-A) then A string 10-8-7 (G-F-E) to E string 10 (D)

3 Likes

All this stuff is so confusing . . . thanks for everyone’s help to clarify it . . . :+1:

6 Likes

Good job iv got my bassbuzzers to put me right lol.

3 Likes

Once you feel like this best to put it aside for a while and come back to it later when you are ready.
No sense in frustrating yourself any more than you have to.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing that for over two years already, @Celticstar . . . :grin:

Seriously though, if a talented bass teacher such as Mark J. Smith makes mistakes in trying to explain it, a bass student is going to have a lot of trouble in trying to understand it. :thinking:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Maybe in another two years :slightly_smiling_face:

Some of the things in music theory are nice to know but if you are not going to use them they will get forgotten, or at least put on the back burner, and then when you want to use them you will have to review them again.

To me some things in music theory, like modes, are great to know for improvising things like solos, and when writing your own songs, especially for 6 string guitars, but for beginner Bass players when would they use this knowledge?

3 Likes

Got a reply from mark hes corrected the mistake… He couldn’t believed hed missed that and said probably tired and too much copy and pasting.

8 Likes

Hmmm, I guess I will have to send him the two mistakes I found.

That one I posted above, and I found another in the very next lesson last night that is very similar to the first one I found.
Good he fixed it, but It makes me want to go back thru and see if I missed any others.

2 Likes

So much for a ‘beginner’ forum!

I get more great info here than any other bass forum!

5 Likes

Isn’t that the truth :slightly_smiling_face:

This is the only Bass forum I am on.
Do you have any recommendations for others?

1 Like

I go on talkbass mainly for classified or to ask very pointed questions regarding my Rumble Studio 40 or some other specialty gear, but that’s it.
I don’t read it like I do here.

There are some general gear forums but I only stumble on them when googling for info.
This is THE place to be for sure.

1 Like