Quick question about modes

If you haven’t watched them, Rick Beato has some really good videos talking about modes. SBL has some great stuff on modes too and more importantly, Scott talks about how/when to use modes. I think there are at least 3 things that are important when learning modes: where they come from, how they relate to the major/minor scales, what they sound like. The best way I’ve found to practice them is to play them with a drone, an EHX Freeze pedal is really handy for that.

5 Likes

This is the most fun way I’ve found for practicing scales and - usually - accidentally composing something.
Excellent tip.

4 Likes

Ye the scales course im doing has just introduced drones to practice the modes… I will do it.

4 Likes

So, I just bought a new Superego+ and expression pedal and I’m sure that’ll set back my actual learning/practice by a month while I screw around with it :joy:

2 Likes

ha.
Yes. Definitely. Learning a new instrument!

1 Like

HA!
I got the Source Audio C4 Synth and Reflex expression pedal and I will be off to the 2 year degree program to learn how to use them!

3 Likes

I have found some more mistakes one is only minor lol no pun intended but it did confuse me, the other is the drones he has embedded dont work which is slightly bigger. I just dont know whether I should mention it… What you think?

I mean im really enjoying the course its great but these things keep popping up.

I sent a message thru the site, not directly to the e-mail, and told them about my problem adding Chord Tones to the shopping cart, cuz it said that I was in the middle of the course, which I was, but it was thru the all access pass, and now that is over, he gave a coupon to buy two courses, and I was going to purchase it for free to finish it.
Mark had sent me an e-mail on June 1st, announcing the end of the All access pass, but thanked me for being a part of it, and gave a coupon code for two courses with 100% discount, so he gave two courses to keep for being a subscriber for the 6 months or so that I was. Mark, and talking bass are class acts for sure.

I also tested other courses in the shopping cart, and the sight reading course I was in the middle of would not load either, but if I put the whole sight reading pack, it would load. When I sent the message, I had the Sight reading course 1-2-3 in the cart, and the slap bass 1 and 2 pack.

I also told him about two mistakes in the walking bass course that I found.

I never heard anything back, but I now have Chord tones, Scales, Sight reading pack and slap bass pack in my courses, with confirmation e-mails for each saying I purchased them for free.

So now that I don’t have the all access pass, I still have access to most of what I wanted anyway, via free coupon, so I am not really worried that they didn’t answer me about the two mistakes.

I know it can be annoying, but I just chalk up finding mistakes, as me becoming a better musician / bass player, and am able to find the mistakes.

I will continue to report any mistakes I find, just because He, Mark, they, Talkingbass.net, probably do want to be aware of them and correct them.
Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the Walking Bass course that I found, and reported mistakes in, so I can’t check it to see if they did anything about it.

I will say, for anybody interested, the Walking Bass course is a really FUN course, but do not try to take it before taking Chord Tones. It would be best to take both Chord tones and Scales prior to taking Walking bass.
You could take it right away, with limited knowledge of chord tones and scales, as he does breifly cover them as he does the lessons, but he regularly refers back to chord tones and scales courses and states if you are having trouble with the walking bass course at anytime, you should go back and redo parts of those courses, and if you have not taken them it would be wise to take them first.

The walking bass course is a natural progression after Chord Tones and Scales as it teaches you how to tie them all together and create walking lines on the fly, using chord progressions, and chord tones and scales to create lines that flow into each other. I think it is a great one to take after you take chord tones and scales, because it is also a refresher on those, and challenges how well you have learned and retained the information from both of those courses, and puts them into application on the fly.
As I said on the first line about Walking Bass course, it is VERY FUN, and I highly recommend it if that sort of thing interests you.

And if you do take it, or if you ARE taking it now, please check Module 2, lesson 20 and 21. The last bar in Line #3 in the content under the video, check if the tabs match the notation. In both lessons, line 3 was copied from line 2, and the changes to notation in the last bar, were there, but the tab was not changed to reflect the notation. It was a head scratcher for me at first, because I knew something was wrong, but I figured it out and used the notation to complete the lessons.

2 Likes

Thats really great of him to do that, brilliant for you too @T_dub Iv got the walking bass course too and im looking forward to it.

I think i will tell him just dont want to pester him or come off critical.

If your thinking of going for these courses and have been put off dont be they are really great courses and mark is a great teacher… I think there is so much material its easy to make mistakes.

1 Like

Yes he is, only 2nd to @JoshFossgreen

Bingo.
There is lots of incidents of copy / paste, and unfortunately, I don’t think there is a Spell Checker for Tabs and Notation, so it is not as easy to proof read and auto check these types of things.
Although, maybe there is a program that populates Tabs if you write the notation, or vice versa? I can’t remember if MuseScore works like that or not, guess I will have to open it up and brush up on it.

1 Like

After Josh and Gio, Mark is definitely my go-to online bass sensei.

2 Likes

Yes, you can link a tab stave that will fill in when you enter the note. From there, you can change the fingering if you prefer something different…

1 Like