Rank your 5 favorite bassists!

On edit: I just realized that I am in error on my song analysis below. I have answered my own question and ignorance after a little research and corrected it in a separate post.
My ignorance was not knowing the string note differences between a 5 string and 4 string bass,
I am not editing my mistake (leaving it on full display), but now realize how few select notes on a 5 string can be so seductive. I need to learn a 4 string so that I can step up to a 5.

“Not the 5 best but the 5 you like the most.”

With that clarification in mind, this perhaps could be asking one’s favorite band or musician? Uhm, maybe. If so it might appear as is there are not many Yes fans among us? I think I saw Chris Squire mentioned twice before this (not a criticism, just an observation.)

The topic is expanding my knowledge in terms of respect for professional bassist; I will need to seek out performances of some mentioned here as many are unfamiliar.

My 5 bassist list happens to coincide akin to perhaps bands or artist that could be among my 5 most favorite:
Paul McCartney
Bill Wyman
Chris Squire
Geddy Lee
Laurence Cottle (he plays bass on Clapton’s “Its in the Way That You Use It.” This songs is my inspiration to take up bass. I want to become proficient enough on the lead up to this:

That E string progression with the massive open string notes does something to me in the bass portion of my brain. It occurs only once in the song and well into it at that. Those 5 notes make me want to learn bass.

This snip starts at about 8 measures before those open E notes:

On Edit: the video is not Cottle who is credited on the Clapton song, it is a tootoober who transcribed and played it; that musician is: https://www.youtube.com/@BassCovers

Still learning different bassists but in no real order

Justin Chancellor, Rex Brown, Ryan Martinie, Les Claypool and Billy Gould.

So, my ignorance may have been exposed in my reply above…
I realize Laurence Cottle is using a 5 string, but is that hearty low note to which I refer actually an E?

I guess my question is what is the relationship of the extra string to a 4 string? Is it added on the low end (thus my allusion is incorrect) or is it added above the G string?

Answered my own question:

I’ve got another Chris Squire to add to the tally. Like others have mentioned my list could be different if I answer this next week, but I think Geddy and Squire will always have a permanent spot. With that said, and in no particular order

Chris Squire
Geddy Lee
Peter Cetera
Mike Watt
Bruce Foxton

I’m tempted to cheat but I’ll follow the cruel rules.

I’m sorry Mr Harris, I booted you for Foxton, been listening to the Jam a lot lately. I’ll buy your expensive bass one day to make up for it…

1 Like

Peter Cetera! Chicago- one of my favorite bands!

3 Likes

I got as far as Steve Harris and stopped!

2 Likes

Ha, no disrespect to Mr. Harris. He’s a regular on my favs list. He’ll be back in rotation in no time. I do really want one of his signature basses. You can recognize those things from 50 yards. So many signatures models don’t really look much different from their stock counterparts.

1 Like

I have a signed Steve Harris Bass! Very true you can spot them by sight or how deep of an indentation it is making in the player’s shoulder! They are a chunk!

3 Likes

That’s awesome!
I’ve read about their heftiness. That must be what keeps him in shape, running around stage with that weight hanging around his neck. Could nickname it the albatross.

2 Likes

The albatross! Good one!

1 Like

As with everyone else here, I could do more than five, but five it is (in no particular order; list subject to change right after I post)!

Joseph “Lucky” Scott
Paul Jackson
Simon Gallup
Flabba Holt
Leroy Sibbles

Five is a very frustrating number in this case.

3 Likes

Stuart Zender
Nathan East
Marcus Miller
Pino Palladino/Jimmy Earl
Darryl Jones

But there are definitely others.

1 Like

No particular order, except Jamerson is of course #1.

James Jamerson

Mark Sandman (Morphine)

Lee Rocker (Stray Cats)

Jerry Bridges (Waylon Jennings)

Larry Graham (Sly and the Family Stone)

OK, 5 of my all time favourite bassists from a punk/Indie/alternative perspective (in no particular order):

1. Steve Hanley (The Fall)
  2. JJ Burnell (The Stranglers)
  3. Jah Wobble (PIL/Invaders of the heart)
  4. Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order)
  5. Bruce Foxton (The Jam)
3 Likes

Some greats there! Hooky is my favorite. And Jah Wobble is underrated IMO.

2 Likes

Excellent, both still going strong & touring regularly. Saw Jah a few weeks ago, him & his band are top notch musicians, superb live exp, he incorporates many musical styles including free form jazz & dub

1 Like

Yeah love what Hooky is doing with The Light too. Very cool he’s got something going with Jack.

2 Likes
  1. Flea
  2. Les Claypool
  3. Flea
  4. Flea
    and 5. Flea

(i dont know many bassists)

1 Like

My 5 have changed from my original post. This is my top 5:

Willie Weeks
Fred Thomas (JB’s)
Kim Clarke (DeFunkt)