Rank your 5 favorite bassists!

I just looked them up yesterday and I’ll have to give them a good listen. I’m a pretty big fan of Paul Westerberg’s 14 songs album.

1 Like

Just a warning to others - read the fine print. What I thought was the $5/month plan was really the “billed at $65 annually” plan (I guess their years have 13 months?), but unlike the advertised “annual plan”, it did not come with a 7 day free trial.

It was my own fault - I clicked through things too quickly and didn’t read the details. I asked them for a refund, and they offered me a few things, but I’ll likely end up paying the “$25/month” price for a month’s access. Lesson learned. They do have a decent amount of “official” tabs, so I’ll get my $25 worth, I guess. I just don’t like that they’re “simple” tabs - no notation/timing indicators (other than spacing), but, it’s better than nothing. C’est la vie.

They have BOY (!) but not AC. :frowning:

2 Likes

There’s too many great ones to list but for me personally 5 of my favorites are as follows

Geddy Lee
Nick Shinzielos
Ryan Martinie
Sean Malone
Les Claypool

I also respect the hell out of the following
Pino Palladino
Stu Hamm
Percy Jones
P Nut
Rex Brown
Chi Cheng
Sergio Vega
Billy Gould
Way too many more to fit on this list. :blush:

4 Likes

Yes!!! In his 70’s but still a monster bassist!!! Love Tony!!!

3 Likes

I can’t do a top 5, but Geddy Lee is definitely my number 1. John Taylor would be in there too.

3 Likes

Offical tabs all have notation as well, as do the Pro level ones.
You may have to adujust your view (if on a PC it is on the bottom under the three dots menu . . . and “notation”

2 Likes

seriously? damn - thanks for the pointer.

Side note since this was revived - I’m working thru a song I got from there. Have their version. Compared it to the moises-separated stem and heard some differences. Commented what I was hearing on their page. They asked me for the stem, I guess they reviewed it, and ended up changing their tab. Huzzah - I got some satisfaction from that.

2 Likes

Gonna say:

Byron Stroud

Billy Sheehan

Colin Greenwood

And a whole bunch of favourite bass lines to play come from

Joe Pricipe

Duff McKagan

And Mike Dirnt & Mark Hoppus (since not many stuck to just 5 :joy:)

3 Likes

Op should have said do your top 10 favs. I literally couldn’t post without 5 extras that I didn’t feel right about omitting.

6 Likes

Most of us ignored the rules :slight_smile:

3 Likes
  1. Geezer Butler
  2. John Paul Jones
  3. Geddy Lee
  4. The guy from Tool
  5. The guy from rage against the machine
5 Likes

Up vote for Johnette Napolitano, CB should have been bigger.

2 Likes

hooky
joe dart
tina weymouth
josephine wiggs (the breeders)
mani (stone roses)

4 Likes

Definitely Will Lee. One of the most talented, versatile and in-demand players on the planet.

1 Like

Lemmy made me want to play; Dee Dee made me believe I could.

You pick the other three.

2 Likes

This has changed for me as I have explored different bands, genres etc in the past year. But Geddy Lee is my favourite, more so because of his goofy personality than playing ability.

2 Likes
  1. Lemmy, no question. Motörhead are for me more than just a band.
  2. Steve “bomber” Harris
  3. Geezer
  4. DD Verni
  5. John Deacon
1 Like

Just my favorite based on like style and music not who I think is the best, and in no particular order: Mike Dirnt, Alessandro Venturella, Nate Mendel, Mikey Way, and Flea.

1 Like

Very solid choices.

1 Like
  1. Jaco Pastorius
  2. Marcus Miller
  3. Nathan East / Gail Ann Dorsey
  4. Sting / Pino Palladino / Darryl Jones
  5. John Taylor / Jimmy Earl / Steve Rodby / Eberhard Weber
1 Like