Ray 4 single humbucker or the stingray 4 hh? Please help me out in deciding

Looking into getting a sterling stingray 4 or sterling stingray 4 hh. What to do? Help. Any personal preference would certainly help in my decision.

1 Like

I have the Ray34H and a Stingray Special. I thought about the HH but ultimately decided against it only because I thought the HH would get in the way of slapping and popping. And the single H is the Stingray sound. But, honestly, you should play both if you can and get the one that feels and sounds good to you.

1 Like

Well, the question is what do you need it for and what are you doing right now with your current bass?

If you do a lot of slapping, just stick with the H, HH gets in the way a bit. Sterling have hot pickups plus it’s active, you’d can’t turn down the volume knob fast enough, lol.

On the other hand, it would covers many genres because you can select the coil, I like position 2 the most (2nd from the bottom) it’s bridge pickup with bottom neck coil.

I have both Ray4 H and HH. The HH I bought for the loaded body and took out the neck. I put the Bonifide 1983 Sabre neck on it. It’s pretty sweet.

1 Like

I don’t really do much slapping, I’m more of a finger/pick type of player. Does the hh offer more tonal choices and is it worth the hundred dollar difference in price? Right now I am currently using a Paranormal jazz bass.

1 Like

Love the look and sounds of the stingray. Very nice range of stingrays you have there @Al1885

1 Like

If you do more of finger picking then yes. There’s a 5 way switch,
Neck Humbucker
North coil I think
Both pickups
South coil neck and bridge pickup (my fav)
Stingray mode

Unlike the Sabre, this one is very modern sounding aggressive and crisps. I highly recommend if you like more tonal option and don’t mind the more complicated setup. I like a single function bass, when I can so in general I don’t look for the extra bells and whistles, lol.

I have both an H and HH EBMM. I am mainly a finger player and prefer the HH with more sound versatility. If I could only keep one, I would keep the HH. I found this video useful when I was trying to decide initially.

I have a 4HH and I wish I just had the single. I played both at the store and just loved how the 4HH played compared to the other, it was probably just a setup issue. I also think the single pickup looks better.

1 Like

I don’t slap → would prefer the HH

1 Like

Thanks for all of your input on this. Having said that,I tried the two today and I am leaning towards the HH. Appreciate all the help and support!