Real Songs That Use Bass Effects

@howard do you know what the settings would be on the Bass Clone to get that effect like on the Journey song? I’ve always loved that bass tone and wondered how he did it.

4 Likes

Try it with low depth and low rate, crossover on.

4 Likes

Sorry to sound blonde (which I am), but does this mean the knobs turned all the way counter-clockwise?

4 Likes

There are knobs at the top of the pedal called “depth” and “rate”. Start low (counterclockwise) and play with them from there until you get a tone you like.

There is a switch in the middle called crossover. Start with it down, then try with it up too.

5 Likes

I think that pretty much wraps it up nicely :grin:

5 Likes

I know the video has an upright but I’m pretty sure this is a normal bass with chorus. It is in the live vids for sure but you can’t hear it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aENX1Sf3fgQ

there’s a number of effects in use in Invisible Sun too.

6 Likes

I’m impressed too!

Thanks for this! Use your Illusion I and II were the first full albums I bought for my first CD player. 25 years later I’m still debating with my sister that she stole those albums from me. :joy:

Time to listen them again :metal:

6 Likes

I could easily be wrong! Just going by ear there.

Chorus can be tough because it’s easy to mistake double-tracked basslines and sometimes bi-amped rigs as well for it. Also other things that may add deep resonance.

4 Likes

As Charlie Taylor implored in his song, “It’s cheaper to keep her”.

After checking out the prices of various MEPs, and seeing how many unneeded features (looper, tuner, drums) and effects each of them offer; and then analyzing how much return I’d get if I sell off my pedalboard and pedals, I’ve decided to hang on to it.
Now that @howard has me interested in the Bass Clone (chorus), I’m going to dig up the user guide and read it for the first time and learn how to use this thing. I may just grow to like it! :smiley_cat:

6 Likes

It’s a neat and useful effect for sure, and the Bass Clone is one of the best :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One of my all time favorites. The final chorus and outro still make me shiver. I mean for real, physically.

3 Likes

Very appropriate for this song! Don’t stop :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m recording a cover today and will include a light touch of chorus just to test it out. @howard I’ll be interested in hearing your comments when I post it in the Post your Covers thread.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter if you are wrong tho. Both have that same “shimmering” sound but for most beginner bass players out there (including me) a chorus will do the trick. :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks @howard @Noisembryo @joergkutter for posting the songs with effects examples. That’s incredibly useful to hear descriptions with examples of how familiar things are done. If others are interested, I’d enjoy seeing this thread split off into something like effects examples in songs and hear examples of other effects as well.

8 Likes

+1

6 Likes

Ditto! @JoshFossgreen can you do that please?

6 Likes

Being GNR fan since I was 8 years old. Got Use Your Illusion I LP for my 10th birthday and my brother got Use Your Illusion II on LP later that year. Best present I probably got to this day.

4 Likes

Done! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks Trusty Bass Teach

6 Likes