Really Portable Amp

I wonder if it is an inventory thing, or TC is just not shipping stuff right now with the Pandemic. They stopped shipping everything Behringer early in the pandemic as well.

Or maybe it was not a popular enough model.
I had toyed with the idea of getting it at one point, but ultimately decided against it. I would still have liked to try it at some point. I will have to keep an eye out for used, and see if people have not caught on that it may not be available anywhere now or ever.

3 Likes

It seemed very transparent to me, just like their amps, which is more or less the opposite of what I want in a preamp. I want preamps that add their own tonal flavor. With the SpectraDrive the only thing it adds is the toneprints.

Nice transparent EQ if that’s what you’re after. I’d still get a Battalion first for that, though. I mean, I did :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have heard some of the toneprints on Youtube, and it was just a couple, but I liked what they played, and assume there would be others I liked too. I would only be getting it for the Toneprints on the Pre-amp side. Also, that is why I opted to NOT get it, and again, would only look for one if it was sold cheap, if they didn’t know they were out of stock or discontinued. If I could find one cheap, and they were discontinued, I could play with it for a bit, then sell it for profit, once they went up in price, if they do go up in price.
But
That leads me to think maybe they discontinued them due to them not being popular and not selling a bunch of them. I hardly see them sold used.
You would think if that were the case, they would have at least blew them out for 30% to 50% off instead of pulling them, so IDK really.

1 Like

For playing along, latency is not an issue, no?

1 Like

I’m way late to this discussion, but I’d like to give a nod to the Peavey Max 100. The name suggests 100 watts but that’s marketing wank. It’s 60 watts. $279, lightweight enough, compact enough… What I like most about it is that the bottom three frets on the E string sound like distinct notes through it. I returned my Rumble 40 because it was too muddy. Rumble 100 wasn’t much better; this Peavey is the ticket!

1 Like

Here’s a rough feature comparison of a range of personal practice things. Please feel free to suggest additions or edits.

6 Likes

Very nice!

It’s a bit more work but it might be good to have two price rows - retail price and used price range, as in my experience few people will hold on to any of these things forever, which has two effects - it’s better to buy something with high resale, and often there’s great deals to be had on used gear.

3 Likes

I added it to the chart.

3 Likes

It’s a good suggestion if I were doing this seriously! I think I’ll let the new price in one region be the general guide to what is more expensive than something else and people can always get it for less. I did add the TC Spectradrive and its used price range since it’s only available used. It doesn’t look like it has cab sim, so I’m wondering if that’s a deal killer on its headphone.

3 Likes

I meant if they were to put a cheap bluetooth into the already stuffed plastic enclosure, you might end up with latency issues.
I did not mean the Zoom has any problems with Latency. You just stated you would appreciated that feature built in, but I fear they would use a cheap one and it would take away from an already brilliant product.

2 Likes

You were not lying, you really wanted to make a chart.
Great work, I love all the side by side feature comparisons.
Thanks

4 Likes

Cool. Thanks for doing this Dave. :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

My pleasure. When I shop for gear I’m constantly forgetting to check stuff. I order the perfect thing and then it doesn’t have aux in. Well crap.

If anything it really shows off how good some of the picks are for non-performance practice. It’s hard to beat a Rumble 40 for the price.

6 Likes

Yeah or a B1four, really stands out. And it basically says you should never buy a NUX because for $20 you can get a whole lot more, which will go against common knowledge here.

3 Likes

One correction here. The Rumble 40 doesn’t have a DAI. That’s the Studio 40. It’s still a great deal.

5 Likes

Nice work, @DaveT . . . :+1:

I do a lot of spreadsheet analysis myself, and it helps me stay organized.

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

I disagree here, I take my NUX and headphones with me to the music stores to play test in sonic privacy. Also, have been taking the bass out on the patio recently and the NUX is super convenient for playing along or doing online lessons with my iPad via Bluetooth, etc. So it does have its place if you have certain applications that interest you.

2 Likes

I agree. I love the nux with a pair of IEMs for practicing pretty much anywhere conveniently.

It’s more compact, discreet and convenient than hanging a pedal from my belt.

1 Like

Visiting local stores is actually the only time I bring my amplug with me.

1 Like

The thing is, the B1four is only $20 more and does a lot more. And would cart to a music store just fine.

But yeah, if you’re using in-ear monitors with it I can see that being a reason. Though if you have IEM’s don’t you have a real transmitter for them? :slight_smile:

1 Like