Really Portable Amp

Interesting. It will be $279 in the US. Seems like a slightly lower-end Fender Rumble Studio 40.

2 Likes

That’s a bit $$$ for what it is

3 Likes

Same for Vinyl to Tape to DAT to CD or VHS to DVD to DVT to Blu-Ray to Streaming.
DVT is by far the best video quality I have ever seen in a person’s home. Digital Video Tape, being linear, makes pixelation pretty much non existent.

Vinyl on a good analog system is extremely warm compared to any digital I have ever heard, but those types of set ups are limited to collectors and audiophiles, which is such a small percent of the population, that many will have no reference, and / or will never hear anything like it.

Much like the kid that never heard of Kodak, or rotary dial telephones, or getting up and walking across the room to turn on the TV, change the volume or channel, or having no PC or phone to watch tv, news and movies on, let alone only having 13 channels (of shit on the tv ) to choose from.

Love watching older movies (pre 2000’s) when somebody is in trouble, and the logical thing would be to call for help, and the kids are asking, “why don’t they just call somebody” :rofl:
I make a phone out of my hand (Thumb in my ear, pinky at my mouth) and say, with what phone?

2 Likes

My kids look at my turntable like it’s from an alien planet.

2 Likes

Seems like there’s a new thing

It looks like a love child of zoom b1 four and that blackstar

2 Likes

Well, the Zoom B1X FOUR came today.
I have to agree with you all, for the money, there is a lot there, and I do like the ‘extra’ options vs. the NUX.

I think I will use it for when I noodle around upstairs or outside on the patio and want a bit more choices.
My only wish with it is bluetooth built in to play along to but I think I kept one of those adaptors and will try to find and use with it.

7 Likes

@DaveT Add the HoTone Jogg to the list.
HoTone Jogg – Thomann United States (thomannmusic.com)

It just came out May 2020 and won the 2021 NAMM TEC award. It has Instrument IN/OUT, headphone OUT, Aux IN, DI, and an Audio Interface. No Bluetooth, if you care about that.

3 Likes

Will do. The element doesn’t have looper or rhythms at the moment, correct?

3 Likes

good list, I would also add the TC SpectraDrive.

3 Likes

Correct.

2 Likes

Some of the bluetooth units have terrible latency issues. For a budget device, I would probably link thru an Aux cable, even if there was a bluetooth option. If it was a more expensive unit, that was not trying to pack everything it can, into a cheap plastic box, then maybe it would be useful.

2 Likes

That model seems discontinued (in Europe at least). That’s why I went with Harley Benton as the budget solution.

2 Likes

Finally a DAI that does not exclude Android! (

Note: I know many others also work on Android but this seems to be the first one to declare so!

1 Like

Wow! Yep, gone from all vendors.

Well, no huge loss. It’s one of those things that looks really good until you check out all the others, at which point it looks just kind of average.

4 Likes

I wonder if it is an inventory thing, or TC is just not shipping stuff right now with the Pandemic. They stopped shipping everything Behringer early in the pandemic as well.

Or maybe it was not a popular enough model.
I had toyed with the idea of getting it at one point, but ultimately decided against it. I would still have liked to try it at some point. I will have to keep an eye out for used, and see if people have not caught on that it may not be available anywhere now or ever.

3 Likes

It seemed very transparent to me, just like their amps, which is more or less the opposite of what I want in a preamp. I want preamps that add their own tonal flavor. With the SpectraDrive the only thing it adds is the toneprints.

Nice transparent EQ if that’s what you’re after. I’d still get a Battalion first for that, though. I mean, I did :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have heard some of the toneprints on Youtube, and it was just a couple, but I liked what they played, and assume there would be others I liked too. I would only be getting it for the Toneprints on the Pre-amp side. Also, that is why I opted to NOT get it, and again, would only look for one if it was sold cheap, if they didn’t know they were out of stock or discontinued. If I could find one cheap, and they were discontinued, I could play with it for a bit, then sell it for profit, once they went up in price, if they do go up in price.
But
That leads me to think maybe they discontinued them due to them not being popular and not selling a bunch of them. I hardly see them sold used.
You would think if that were the case, they would have at least blew them out for 30% to 50% off instead of pulling them, so IDK really.

1 Like

For playing along, latency is not an issue, no?

1 Like

I’m way late to this discussion, but I’d like to give a nod to the Peavey Max 100. The name suggests 100 watts but that’s marketing wank. It’s 60 watts. $279, lightweight enough, compact enough… What I like most about it is that the bottom three frets on the E string sound like distinct notes through it. I returned my Rumble 40 because it was too muddy. Rumble 100 wasn’t much better; this Peavey is the ticket!

1 Like

Here’s a rough feature comparison of a range of personal practice things. Please feel free to suggest additions or edits.

6 Likes