Recommended Gear

I bought the cable and app too. Don’t use it that often sadly but good to have as backup!

Those Strobo tuner pedal are really nice tho. Sweetened tunings is really interesting but for me it was a bit too much features. I keep going back to my Korg GA-1. :see_no_evil:

+1 for the BDI-21

1 Like

Yeah the strobostomps are great looking pedals. I really like the strobe tuner UIs; just easy to use to tune.

2 Likes

I was having a lot of trouble with the app/cable, maybe a bad cable?
I was feeling like it was less accurate than my polytune.
That said I am wondering in a tuner to tuner shootout which one(s) are actually the most accurate. The polytune seems less accurate than a strobe, but more accurate than the app/cable. There is a built in tuner in the zoom and my Berg amp, which are super easy to use. Wondering if that means less accurate. Really only care about that level of accuracy for intonation, but still would like to know. Eyeing the new Peterson strobe tuner for my workbench and upstairs/outside/travel.

Just to complicate things the Polytune has a button press sequence that puts it into strobe mode.

I’ve kind of curious about this term “strobe.” I wonder what that means. These devices don’t have a spinning wheel and a strobe light. So how do they calculate the tone? Do they use a frequency counter and then display the result in classic strobe format? In that case it’s just a UX preference. Or do they actually track the spinning strobe graphic lines to memory positions and then write them to the display “illuminating them” when the strobe trigger would happen?

1 Like

Oh right i forgot. Ill try it just for grins

1 Like

From Sweetwater: "Most electronic tuners work by using a microprocessor to analyze the average period of the waveform of a vibrating string, and using LEDs to indicate whether the pitch of the string is higher, lower, or directly equal to the specified desired pitch for that string.

Strobe tuners, on the other hand, are effectively stroboscopes; a mechanical spinning disk with a strobe pattern is backlit by an array of lights (usually LEDs) that flash at a rate related to the frequency of the audio being analyzed. When the speed of the disk matches the rate of the flashing lights, the strobe pattern “freezes,” or stops moving, indicating the pitch is in tune.
Strobe tuners are often hailed as the most accurate type of tuner, with precision as high as 1/10th of a cent. Virtual versions of strobe tuners are also available, which can also be quite accurate."

I know you already know this @DaveT but I still found it interesting to post… So I’m kinda guessing the pedal ones are virtual or they might use an internal wheel which output is displayed in the interface. I tried the pedal once and it was super accurate. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

In the case of the PolyTune 3…

Lightning-fast chromatic tuner
offers 0.5 cent accuracy

Ultra-precise strobe tuner gives you

±0.02 cent accuracy for ultimate
tuning performance

So, there is something different going on in each mode, had no idea.
That said, they don’t talk about it anywhere I can find it.

1 Like

This is such obvious marketing bullshit it almost hurts.

To be clear: yes, I think they are lying.

3 Likes

I’m guessing FFT, since the Petersons also have spectrum mode.

1 Like

I tried the strobe mode. Graphic is terrible. If it is more accurate you’d never be able to see it so….fail.

3 Likes

Lol best remark I have seen today :joy:

2 Likes