Recommended Gear

Ok, so, I’ve got a good bass. I’ve got a good amp (at least for my current needs).

What other gear would you consider really strong nice-to-haves or even almost-mandatory?

2 Likes

You absolutely positively MUST have an e-bow - no self-respecting bass player leaves home/gets out of bed without one!

Ebow Bass #4 - Fretless - Ibanez SR 400 - YouTube

:grin:

6 Likes

Depends on what you want to do?

Record yourself? DAW and DAI

Fiddle with effects and amp aims inexpensively? - Zoom B1Four

The rest is and endless supply of fuel for gas.

5 Likes

Something to produce drum effects

3 Likes

A good metronome app

6 Likes

Out of everything, I do appreciate having a spot-on trustworthy tuner that’s easy for my eyes to track what it’s telling me without straining.

https://www.petersontuners.com/products/stroboplushdc/

6 Likes

Get a gig bag, so you can take your bass to play with other people. I like my Fender FB620 a lot. Get a stand to keep your bass on for the rest of the time.

3 Likes
  1. Tuner
  2. Headphones
  3. Compressor and/or overdrive pedal (if your amp is lacking drive)
  4. Better cables or wireless
  5. Metronome or drum app/unit for aux-input
  6. Stand and gigbag
3 Likes

I know I’m biased but for $99 you get a built in tuner, various amp simulations, pedals and a massive selection of drum tracks / metronome. You have physical knobs so you can quickly change the tempo etc.
It’s a no brainer.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1FOUR--zoom-b1-four-bass-multi-effects-processor

5 Likes

I have a Zoom B1 Four and I just don’t like it. Very complicated to use compared to the drum app on my phone.

But whatever you do like, drum effects are a game changer.

3 Likes

Everyone’s mileage will vary. I use the 3 knobs to control the drum machine.
Knob 1 scrolls though the preset drum patterns, knob 2 increases or decreases the BPM, knob 3 controls the volume. That’s it done. In less than 20 seconds you’re away.

2 Likes

Not going to rag on the Zoom beyond I had to read the manual to figure out how to start the drums, because when I got it, unpacked it and tried to use it, nothing happened when I hit the drum function.

Yeah, you press the rhythm button and it lights up. Then Press the left big black button to start the drums and the right big button to stop the drums.
I agree that you need to read the manual to be able to use it. However I don’t think it’s insanely complicated to get going using preset patches etc. Diving into changing the effects can get complicated for sure.

1 Like

Get a tuner for sure. Next, focus on learning to play the instrument proficiently without all the gadgetry (pedals, etc. ).
The next thing is to get a DAI so you can record yourself and listen to the playback. This is the best way to become more proficient.
ProTIP: pedals don’t improve your playing.

All the other needs will come to you as you go along.

6 Likes

Also, if you get a DAI (Digital Audio Interface), you can add effects in your audio software if you want to add some effects. For example Reaper has lots of free plugins you can use for distortion and all this stuff pedals do.

If you are anything like me, you will want some pedals later on anyway, but basically, none are required.

1 Like

This has been mentioned but bears repeating. Depending on your living situation, a decent set of headphones may be a necessity. It is for me, allowing me to play/practice whenever I want without disturbing the neighbors or my wife watching TV in the next room.

4 Likes

I should have mentioned that I have all the basics. Tuners, stands, cables, several different metronome apps (and a stand alone actual metronome), I’m all set there. Although I’d spend a sh*tload of money for a straight cable that doesn’t curl up. That said, I do not have a gigbag, so I’ll have to look into one of those.

I was originally thinking things more like the e-bow or the Zoom B1 FOUR or compressor/overdrive pedals or DAI. Of those, I’m most intrigued by the Zoom and DAI, so I’ll have to take a look into those.

3 Likes

There’s a whole DAI thread:

This demos all the inbuilt sounds. Doesn’t show the drum tracks though.

2 Likes

You should check out their iPhone app. Like their pedal tuners, but with a much better display :slight_smile:

Plus, less than $30 including the cable.

2 Likes

I’ll back this up. The Zoom units are probably the best value in gear.

Though the BDI-21 is pretty solid too (for preamp/DI’s).

2 Likes