Recording an amp without a microphone

I’m looking at getting a new bass amp to replace my Fender Rumble 15 that I got in a starter pack. I would like to be able to record and have no interest in going down the microphone recording rabbit hole. Do I just need to look for an amp with either a 1/4" or XLR out and then get an audio interface that has a combo mic/line input?

Thinking maybe something like the Fender Rumble 40, Blackstar Unity 60 or Ampeg RB-110 Rocket Bass.

2 Likes

You know you can plug your bass directly into an audio interface for recording :smile:

But, if you want to use the pre-amp stage of an amp, or some filtering/EQ’ing that the amp might offer, or use effects either in the amp or in an effects loop, then you need indeed an amp with an XLR out (which is also called DI out). That’s what I do, but solution 1 (going directly into the DAI with your bass and using amp modeling and effects within the DAW )works just fine as well. I think that is what @howard routinely does, as he is happy not owning an amp :smile:

5 Likes

Thank you. Yep I’ve dabbled with recording the bass directly and using plugins :slightly_smiling_face:

My thought train was that I could find a tone I like in the amp and use that for both playing “out loud” and recording.

If nobody is home, I like making a rumble :metal:

4 Likes

Indeed. I also just like my amp’s base (not a typo) tone better than most models I have access to. In the end, you probably need to/want to experiment a lot and trust your ears on what you like. But, yes, for this, you’d need a DI out (XLR out) on your amp.

It’s worthy to note, that the “tone” you might like from your amp comes almost exclusively from its pre-amp stage. A lot of people here, use a range of different pre-amp pedals for tone shaping, or amp/cab modeling pedals (all these together with other effects pedals and compressor pedals etc). Many of the pre-amp pedals have a DI out, but not all, and then you’d need an extra DI pedal/box (which also could be used alone on-stage or in a studio to get a clean, balanced signal to the FOH or recording console etc.).

Lots of options :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah, I vastly prefer the flexibility of recording clean and using amp amd cab sims. So much more versatile IMO.

No problem for me. My monitors are 160W :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What size speakers do they have? Haven’t thought of going that road probably partly due to lack of knowledge. Guessing they’re fun to jam along to with backing tracks?

2 Likes

You won’t really get the the tone you hear from the amp when you “line out” usually. You’d get a very sanitized version of that.

If you want your amp sound then the mic would be the strong option. If you want your bass sound then a good DI box will do that.

I’m not a big fan of a cab sims not because they are not good but I’m just a stubborn SOB who’s afraid of changing my recording routine, lol.

I like the rumble line they are awesome bang for the bucks. Each time fender acquires another company they add the features and quality to their products. I can hear some Genz Benz ( Genzler) quality in the rumble. It’s pretty cool.

4 Likes

They are a pair of 80W 5” woofers and 1” tweeters. They are plenty loud and have almost exactly the same frequency response as their 7” cousins.

So, just under (about 82% of) the same speaker surface area of an 8” bass amp, and just over half that of a 10”. This is the perfect size for my apartment. They never get close to max volume (or even half).

A pair of 7” monitors with tweeters has almost exactly the same speaker surface as a 10” bass amp.

2 Likes

Thanks @Al1885, I’ll probably get the interface before the amp so can test the idea with my guitar and guitar amp. It’s got an emulated output.

1 Like

Nice @howard, definitely sounds achievable on my desk. Will consider it instead of a new amp.

I’ve also been thinking of setting up a few templates in Reaper with a few different plugin options. I think all my current plugins have stand-alone mode for general practice so a ampless setup might work.

2 Likes

I yell at clouds in agreement!

3 Likes

Take a look at the Fender Rumble Studio 40 (make sure it’s the Studio version). Built-in effects and USB out to your computer for recording.

(I don’t own one yet but have been researching.)

1 Like

Honestly I would get a normal amp and buy the effects separately via something like a Zoom B2four.

Otherwise you are always tied to your amp for effects, even after you outgrow it, which you likely will with a 40W amp.

4 Likes

I considered that myself, but like having everything in one relatively portable package with the ability to experiment with different amp models and effects. By the time I’m ready for something more powerful (if I ever am…I’m older and learning bass just for fun) then I’ll know what I like and probably buy stand-alone effects.

Too each their own, though…just offering one possible path!

4 Likes

Best bang for the buck is the Fender Rumble 40. You won’t find an amp with that tone quality in that price range. Going to Studio series there are quite a bit of competition. The Boss Katana 110 is definitely a good contender, but you gotta fork out another $35 for the Bluetooth dongle.

I’m not much of an effect guy although somehow I ended up with a few, I’m definitely not an amp modeler guy. I just want my bass to sound just like my bass that’s why I’m using Genzler. Your bass sounds like your bass. When I’m back down to a few basses maybe I’ll look into more some augmentation, lol.

2 Likes

Keep your amp…just need a preamp lots of them out there Fender express, Aquilar Tone hammer, Darkglass a couple of option Element or any of 5 preamps, and Ampeg SGT- Di. Most these options also have an aux in for backing tracks and headphone jacks for practicing silently… For me the DAW was the rabbit hole I refused to go down… if you want to keep it super simple for a bass cover…Shure MV88 plugs into iphone and it would just pick up your rumble amp

If you want to do video covers you can plug out of bass or pedal board into Roland ProMixer…and it is so easy to use…I am currently experimenting with IRIG2 for bass cobvers

2 Likes

In my experience, evrery path is a rabbit hole. :slight_smile: Anyhow, good luck and we are fortunate to have a space like this to ask questions.

4 Likes

Most accurate statement ever.

The nice thing about recording clean into the DAW and effecting/amp simming with plugins is that it is by far the most flexible and versatile rabbit hole. It also sounds better, once you know what you are doing :slight_smile:

There is a learning curve though, and it’s also not the least expensive option.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the advice, tips and thoughts folks.

Something like the Rumble Studio or Boss Katana could work as well. Recording guitar via my Yamaha THR10X goes ok via the USB. Bass not so well with that amp though as it’s difficult to get a really clean sound without the volume being really low.

It will be a while before I can change my setup, but lots more to research using info above.

2 Likes