Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup

so that one solved than

if you want to record really recommend use the XLR and dont feed back your U44 in the amp
if you wanna play around, connect the U44 to return but no XLR, keep in mind @howard’s remarks about synths, waveforms and signal levels, in order not to fry your speaker

5 Likes

Not sure it’s really solved, I may have changed cabling a few times, but I’m still not sure it’s perfect.

My U-44 has two functions…

On a day to day basis, it provides a way to plug more than one source into my amp, IE: Bass and drum machine… plus my guitar or anyone who jams with me. I use the drum machine everyday for my practice sessions.

The other function is for recording, which of course is what the device is
intended for in the first place.

Therefore, I keep the connection at all times, and am just seeking the most appropriate method.

2 Likes

You have to do a concession somewhere, you also can record with the u44 plugged into the return, but you will not have the characteristics of your rumble.
If you do want this, you need to use the XLR.

You have a nice setup with minimal gear.
If you get GAS a second DAI will solve your issues :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Or a mixer, which is kind of what she’s using the DAI for here.

Many mixers also have built-in DAIs. Zoom makes a few nice looking ones :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Aaaahhhh no! Don’t start us all down the path of multiple DAI’s, I’m not sure about others on here, but I’ve just about managed to get it clear in my head how to connect up everything I’ve just bought (rumble 100, Scarlett interface etc) and ordered every cable I might need.
If you tell me two DAI’s are the way to go, it has implications for my sanity and bank balance (and possibly my marriage too if my wife sees any more Amazon deliveries…)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edit:
I see this

My partner see this:

8 Likes

Pams requirements are very specific and the problem only exists because she goes amp → DAI to add other instruments/drum machine → amp again because the speakers of the combo amp should be used for other instruments and the drum machine.

It would be perfectly fine if she just went for bass directly into DAI. Then it would work with just one so I doubt you need another one.

So to sum up: A second DAI would solve Pams issues but since you found a setup you are happy with there aren’t any issues to solve. Don’t give in to the dark G.A.S. of buying things you won’t even use! :wink:

Maybe we should really start that thread of strategies to convince the better half
Top 3:

• A friend just had it lying around and didn’t use it. (Should be used gear)
  • It was a bargain! I had to strike! Otherwise I would spend double the amount in a year!
  • “Honey! I bought two basses!” “What the hell?” “Just kidding - it’s just one.”
4 Likes

That would be public service! Apply the above gif here

3 Likes

Here’s one I’ve used:

“Holy crap, I can’t believe that came. I ordered this months ago but it was on back order, so I forgot all about it. I’ll just send it back, but it would break my heart… it’s so beautiful”. (feigning sadness) Or maybe I’ll just keep it and save us the cost of returning it.

3 Likes

I had to send that in for warranty repair.

4 Likes

Before I get another answer for that topic I edited in the link to the new thread I created.

2 Likes

Just in!

7 Likes

Nice! I still thoroughly enjoy my 404HD and don’t regret the purchase :money_mouth_face:

5 Likes

From whom did you get that? GC and Sam Ash have them on back order.

3 Likes

Hi @JerryP, from Musicstore.com (Germany)

4 Likes

Thanks! That’s a bit far for me.

4 Likes

Anyone here use a Focusrite 2i2 USB Audio Interface? I’d like to know your thoughts and comments.

3 Likes

Hi @JerryP. I have just bought the 4i4, it seemed to give just a little more flexibility for the price.
I am really happy. Absolutely no trouble setting it up in Reaper, and after watching a YouTube video on the Focusrite Control software, I was able to understand that and set up various configs (which you can save and recall) depending on the connection scenario you want (recording using headphones as monitor, practicing with signals going to amp, practicing late at night with headphones only, tablet audio into interface routes to amp or not etc etc). I’m not an expert yet by any means, but have been able to set it all up no problem.
The unit itself is well built and looks good too. Some people moan about the lack of level meters on the device, but it has halo rings round the controls and you can see the full meters in the control software.
I was originally going to buy the Motu M4, but that was out of stock everywhere, but now glad I got the Scarlett.

5 Likes

Thanks @Mark_UK. I assume that the 4i4 has 4 inputs. Are you using all four inputs in your setup?

3 Likes

Lots of people seem to like those a lot, good reputation.

4 Likes

Hi @JerryP, I have the two line inputs on the back connected to my tablet, so I can play Tidal tracks into the DAI setup. This takes up both input ports for left and right stereo.
On the front I’ve got my Rumble amp connected via its XLR line output to one of the main front DAI inputs. This routes my bass-pedal board-amp chain into the DAI.
This leaves one free line/instrument input on the front of the 4i4 to which I could plug my bass if I wish to bypass any colouration by the amp etc for a totally clean signal.
So I found you quickly use up 4 inputs no problem!

5 Likes