Purchase explanations/excuses for your partner

Okay so after mentioning the third time that we should start a thread about it and I was told “do it!” here we go.

• A friend didn’t use it
  • A bargain! I saved ??$
  • Convince your partner s/he needs new gear and take the old stuff.
  • I bought two! wait for answer Just kidding - it’s just one.
  • The home it was in could or would not take care of this baby and I had to save it.
  • It’s orange
  • For every gear purchase I take you to dinner
  • I ordered this months ago and forgot all about it. I just send it back. pause Do I have to send it back? It’s so beatiful.
  • I won it in a giveaway
  • Got it as a reward for a favour I did several years ago
  • Found it right there on the street, by the dump! Can you believe it?! Someone’s trash is really someone’s treasure!
  • Explain a molehill and buy a mountain (“I need to be able to practice with headphones and I can use this modeling profiler effects DI preamp for that!”)
  • It’s not new - It came back from repair!
  • If I get this I can play the style you like most!
  • Woah - look at what a huge box they sent my strings in!
  • Guilt trip him/her for his/her expensive hobby! (“It’s only a fraction of what your horse did cost and costs!”)
  • It’s not a new bass. It’s just a paintjob.
  • I had to order something small so I have the chance to win the raffle!
  • I need another tuning and detuner cost more than a new bass. So I bought a new bass!
  • I had to fill up the purchase for free delivery!

I’ll edit more answers into this post as they come :slight_smile:

The dinner option could be the most expensive but may be also the most effective. Happy wife - happy life. (spouse or partner just doesn’t rhyme okay? Gender doesn’t matter)

Edit:
Awww… Edit resets the poll. Kind of makes sense but then I maybe should remove the poll all together.

9 Likes

Are you able to include the option for a write in choice when you create the poll?

3 Likes

No. At least I did not find such an option.
I could create a poll on an external site but I want to keep it just here in the forum.

3 Likes

I don’t have this problem to be fair. I support my missus with her horses and wild horse advocacy and she puts up with my Harleys and basses :joy:

5 Likes

Well it surely helps when the partner also has an expensive hobby. When I say “it helps” I surely am not talking about your bank account :smiley:

No such luck here. She doesn’t have as much money as I do and purchase that seem small to me because “it’s just 50 bucks” are big to her: “what?? 50bucks???”.

Then again while she isn’t necessarily supportive she also isn’t destructive or pushes too much. I am still in love with the Herr Schwarz and the first time I saw the offer I almost did not resist. I am glad I did… I talked to her afterwards and said: “I am still a little bit confused why you didn’t try harder to stop me from making that purchase?” (as I rely on her to a degree to stop me from bad impulse purchases) and she answered: “I didn’t feel like I had a chance to change your mind.”

5 Likes

Don’t really have this issue. Got a super supportive wifey.

7 Likes

Well… it’s only a half earnest topic. It’s also meant for stupid jokes about the topic :wink:

3 Likes

This one I don’t really get. You already had it then?
Or is this for people with so much gear that the partner doesn’t have an overview anymore what is what so you can buy something and just say “It came back from repair”?

2 Likes

That’s it! Joking here too. I actually have it very easy. A Sweetwater gift card arrived here for Father’s Day.

4 Likes

Choose a toy that enables being able to play a music style or artist your partner likes. “If I get this, then I could do …”

4 Likes

The kids are watching TV in here half the time I’m able to practice. I can’t keep moving this stuff back and forth between rooms.

I suppose headphones could be fine on those days. There’s a headphone jack on this modeling profiler effects DI preamp.

5 Likes
  • Won it in a giveaway
  • Got it as a reward for a favour I did several years ago
  • Found it right there on the street, by the dump! Can you believe it?! Someone’s trash is really someone’s treasure!

That’s the way I see it. Poking fun at the stereotype!

Thankfully my missus thinks as long I’m not interfering with home finances or other plans it’s all good.

5 Likes

What honestly happens here is that I am relaxed, happy and excited every time I play. She wants to support and encourage anything in my life that’s so good for me.

6 Likes

:laughing: that’s a classic for IT gear. “I needed an USB hub so I bought one with an ultra HD display attached.”

2 Likes

I can’t believe they have to package strings in such a big box.

4 Likes

Updated the initial post to add all your replies!
I’m really enjoying the contributions here.

The problem with the strings excuse… Some strings are more expensive than some gear.

3 Likes

How about the excuse that is partially working for me at the moment?
“Anything I’ve spent recently only adds up to a fraction of what you’ve spent on your horse” :horse_racing:
(Takes the moral high ground for a while)

3 Likes

“It’s not a new bass, I just had the old one painted”
(Apparently works well if you buy a bright orange bass)

3 Likes

That “found it at the dump “ actually happened to one of our neighbours! He picked up an Ibanez ( can’t remember which one but it’s not cheap) off of a pile of rubbish.
It was missing one control knob and the 9v battery. I’m just waiting until he’s broke again :joy:

6 Likes

A new one sprang to mind when reading this:

I had to order something small so I have the chance to win the raffle!

5 Likes