First String Purchase Ibanez SR300E

Amazon delivered my first set of new strings a day early, so I couldn’t resist putting them on after work today.
As recommended by @Jamietashi, I have gone for Fender flatwounds. Specifically Fender 9050’s, 55-105.
Here are my thoughts compared to the stock round wounds that came with the Ibanez SR300E:

• why don’t manufacturers do themselves a favour and put better strings on from the start, surely the reviews would be better? My bass sounds like a different beast
  • the sound level out of the bass seems higher with the new strings? Maybe it’s more to do with the next point and my perception?
  • I love the new sound, it’s what I imagined a bass should sound like for the (mostly) rock I like- deep and rumbling
  • I can see why, although it’s not the most important thing (tone is) why people love the feel of flatwounds and stick with them.
  • £25 well spent in my opinion

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

5 Likes

@Mark_UK , I thought the same you can feel it more in your chest unl3ss using headphones :rofl: I have taken something on board that @terb had said. So I went direct into the bare assed amp and just using the the bass s own EQ set in nuetral. The tone was just awesome. I’m just going to play like this for a week and explore it bare
Jamie
:guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

5 Likes

Well, yeah, you’d think that would make sense, but many/most guys who buy a bass (even new) will immediately put new strings (i.e., their “brand”) on that bass - so, why bother with super expensive strings!?!

Also, in general, roundwounds are a bit more versatile and common compared to flats, which is why most new basses come with rounds.

Personally, I find the quest for “my strings” to be a long (and expensive) journey, but it seems you are already close to having found your “holy grail”!?! :smile:

Not entirely sure about this one, but it could be different metals and alloys etc, which have different magnetic properties (which is in play when interacting with pickups).

6 Likes

I agree with @joergkutter on this one. I’ve only owned three basses, but never kept the strings that came on it, for various reasons.

I think it might be perception (unless you inadvertently tuned them an octave higher). It may have something to do with flats having more of a warm and mellow tone, as opposed to the booming brightness of round wounds.

5 Likes

Thanks for your write up @Mark_UK :+1:

3 Likes

So after reading @Mark_UK write up I took the plunge today and fitted a set of flat wounds to the SR.

These ones to be exact lol . Find them very smooth on my fretting hand and they certainly sound different.

4 Likes

@Mac I just got a violin bass fitted with roundwounds, I understand what @PamPurrs means about corduroy, very raspy like guitar strings. I do prefer smooth for bass.
Jamie

5 Likes

Nice, @Mac - supposedly among the best strings money can buy!! Unless this was after all not the sound you were after, they should last you a while :wink:

6 Likes

@Jamietashi , the smoothness and lack of ridges in my fingers is taking some getting used to :joy:

@joergkutter, thank you. I must admit I knew nothing about those strings but figured they should be half decent after selling a kidney to buy them :scream: I’m liking the sound so far too

6 Likes

How much are they? I wouldn’t mind giving them a try as well. Amazon?

4 Likes

They were $100 but Australian dollars :dollar:
I bought them from a local store The Bass Centre but I would imagine that you would be able to source them from Amazon :pray:

2 Likes

$120 USD for 5 string on Amazon. Sheesh

2 Likes

OUCH :sweat:!!!
They do feel and sound pretty amazing but maybe not that good :joy:
There again you only live once

2 Likes

Do we know what world to start in? Are all Ibanez truss rods metric? Are Fenders also metric?

3 Likes

Hey @Mac,
Talk about exposing yourself to more GAS.
Going into the BassCentre in South Melbourne to see Guy and the boys is an absolute potential trap.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

No idea about Fender. Yamaha and Warwick are metric (or at least mine have been).

3 Likes

G’day mate um bro @TNKA36
I had the strings delivered as it was free post . I honestly dare not go through the door into the store :joy:

3 Likes

@DaveT all the Ibanez that I’ve seen are metric 4mm. Fender MIA are imperial 1/8". MIM 3/16" but, I’ve seen an MIM in 1/8"
I would always check first as a stripped out truss rod aint fun.
Jamie

5 Likes

How are you getting on with the flat wounds you put on your bass @Mark_UK ?

I’m loving mine. Very smooth on the fingers and I do think they may have contributed to a lighter touch on my plucking hand to making it possible for me to play a little faster if needed. I’m also loving the tone of the Ibanez with them on. I’m definitely a convert :+1:

4 Likes

Welcome to the flat world… err, I mean the world of flat wounds.

@Mac and @Mark_UK I hope to see both of you at the Flat Wound Anonymous meetings.

5 Likes