Amazon delivered my first set of new strings a day early, so I couldn’t resist putting them on after work today.
As recommended by @Jamietashi, I have gone for Fender flatwounds. Specifically Fender 9050’s, 55-105.
Here are my thoughts compared to the stock round wounds that came with the Ibanez SR300E:
- why don’t manufacturers do themselves a favour and put better strings on from the start, surely the reviews would be better? My bass sounds like a different beast
- the sound level out of the bass seems higher with the new strings? Maybe it’s more to do with the next point and my perception?
- I love the new sound, it’s what I imagined a bass should sound like for the (mostly) rock I like- deep and rumbling
- I can see why, although it’s not the most important thing (tone is) why people love the feel of flatwounds and stick with them.
- £25 well spent in my opinion
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.