First String Purchase Ibanez SR300E

Mhh. Now I wonder how Bach sounds on flatwounds.

I didn’t order anything for at least three days so I’m way overdue… maybe 3 sets of strings to test out all of them.

5 Likes

Hi @Mac I’m definitely a flat-earther now. I think they’re really good.
If I was to swap, it would be to try other brands of flats and see what the differences are. Probably just subtle I would imagine.

5 Likes

Happy to come along to FWA meetings, after the day I’ve had today it needs to be combined with Gear Acquisition Anonymous too, so a FW&GAA meeting would be good. :rofl:

5 Likes

@Mark_UK what brand do you have now? I have the LaBella Deep Talkin Bass flats and they sound great.

6 Likes

@PamPurrs I’m still on my Fender 9050 flats, 55 - 105.

5 Likes

The LaBellas are .065 .085 . 105 and .128 … Nice deep tone

5 Likes

How did you find the heavier gauge when you first tried them?

5 Likes

In terms of playing, no real difference. Sound wise, huge difference.

P.S. I did have to make a minor adjustment on the bass to allow for thicker strings, but very very minor.

5 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs. I think the next bit of my strings exploration should be thicker gauge strings with my next flats purchase.
It’s part of what I’m loving about bass apart from the playing and learning itself, it’s trying the various options and seeing what you like

5 Likes

Hi @Mac,
I’m glad you love the flats, they have been my preference for a long time.
Smooth, great tone and always feel nice to touch.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

My names Mac and I’m a flat earther :flushed:

Thanks for the welcome @PamPurrs. Didn’t realise that the strings came in that heavy gauge! I’m only running pretty standard stuff at the moment.

Good to hear you’re enjoying them too @Mark_UK :+1: It’s quite a difference I’m finding.

And do it @juli0r :sunglasses:

6 Likes

G’day @TNKA36
They’re certainly good. I might keep rounds on the P bass though :thinking:
For now anyway :joy:

5 Likes

If you like sliding as much as I do, flats or tapes are like heaven :heart:

6 Likes

Must admit I’ve been adding a few more slides recently :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Yes Mac, I have flats on the 76 P and rounds on the 79 P, but I don’t know why I always reach out and grab the 76P over the 79P, internally I just feel more comfortable playing the flats.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

I’m hearing you :+1:

4 Likes

That’s why I used that bass in my cover video, and now I think I might challenge myself to step out of my comfort zone and use the 79P in my next cover?
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

I complained about the flatwounds earlier, but, am finding that they work really nicely for Bach! Ok, maybe the solution is to get another bass, haha! That way, one can have flats, the other rounds, and my vote will be for both - no more one or the other.

I also have the LaBellas, but these gauges are .043 to .104 - not as deep, but, for those upper registers, the tone is great with these. And you’re right about the sliding, smooth as silk!

5 Likes

Nah. I ordered something else yesterday.
But I won’t talk about that here… maybe I’ll reveal it someday :wink:

3 Likes

Must be illegal :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes