July 2020 Bassbuzz Challenge

I’ll throw this one out there, if anyone’s up for it! It’s kind of a mean one, well, ok, it’s totally cruel, but, you are completely allowed to slow the tempo down, and only do the first 4 or 8 bars or however many you’re comfortable with. It’s a throw back to Josh in a tux! And no, it doesn’t have to be perfect - try your best. The Bach Cello Suite 1 Prelude. And he gives us tips on this one in another video on his channel. Plus the tabs to an arrangement he created. Let’s see if anyone wants to try it - it’s a really beautiful piece of music, and the fretting hand’s gonna get a real nice challenge with it!

Post your video or audio files! No, you don’t have to wear a tux :stuck_out_tongue:

Tabs Written by Josh: https://joshfossgreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/bach-cello-suite-1-prelude-bass-tab.pdf

(you can also slow down the video when he’s playing by hitting the gear icon on YT, then playback speed)

6 Likes

This is a challenge!

I can’t even get a comfortable position to play those frets. But it’s starting to sound like Bach!

5 Likes

Oh wow.
Cool challenge!

But I can hear TwoSetViolin rolling their eyes: “GUUYS! There is more in the Cello reportoire than just Bachs Cello Suite!”.
It’s the go-to cello music for anything in tv/movies and they were reviewing classical music in cartoons. Side Note: Old cartoons were f$#"*ing ART. Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry. New Cartoons are mainly bullshit.

3 Likes

Send them on Davie504’s way :joy:.

I love this piece! Was in the 1st position on my goto classical pieces to listen to while studying

4 Likes

Yeah, I just started trying to learn it yesterday, and, I’m not used to playing those frets either! - you can move it down an octave too, and start on the G that’s the 3rd fret of the E string, instead of the one that’s the 15th fret, just to get a feel for finger positions on the note changes.

I think the best advice Josh gave in that video is: take it 1 bar at a time. Lol, for sure! Each bar is like a mini riff to learn. I’m hooked though. Ok, just 35 more bars to get through without forgetting the first ones :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Wow, way too much of a challenge for me at the moment :sweat_smile:
One thing that might prevent some from participating is that you need a 24 fret bass to play along :wink:

6 Likes

Ok, here is my initial progress before dinner time!

As I said, I’m not comfortable. I have to have the bass in a weird position to have full access to those frets. The thumb is supporting part of the weight of the bass and limits my hand movement ability.

Looking through @JoshFossgreen’s tabs, I’m missing frets 21-24 from my bass :joy:

9 Likes

Ugh, yeah, though, looking ahead, you could probably make it quite a ways before it’s a big issue, except maybe bar 7, where you’d have to sub the note for the same one on a higher pitch string. If anyone makes it that far though, the challenge was probably helpful in some way!

I think you’re right though, depending on your bass, and the cutouts, some frets could be hard to hit. I have to play it standing for it to work, or my wrist starts hurting, but my bass is an Ibanez with similar style to Josh’s Peavey.

3 Likes

I’ll take this on tomorrow.
I still have to practice the songs of the band I’ll go to practice test-wise. Well the finished build should free up some time and I was interested before but now that I hear that I have an advantage with a 24-fret bass I’m even more hyped :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Vik what a great challenge, something that I have wanted to play. Soon I hope.
Jamie

4 Likes

@Krescht just go down an octave.
Jamie

4 Likes

Or, another option for 20 fretted basses I saw was to transpose it to the key of E or Eb, ( just move everything up 3 or 4 frets) - looks like by bar 19 you need the lower notes again. But again, if you make it that far, that’s an accomplishment. This is one that’s not done in a day - unless you’re a bass god!

4 Likes

E is not enough, I’m still missing a 21th fret. I just transposed it to E♭. Not quite sure how to translate that last bar into the software. That -1 on standard tuning will require a dynamic string detune or a custom tuning setting :sweat_smile:.

Standard tuning:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O9MIL42X6fMm6JEPqEzxD48ScMRf_int/view?usp=sharing

E♭ADG tuning (*):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V3KpZSuzt4ub949_JQAw6oI4aVJeLKCt/view?usp=sharing

(*) Considering working on refingering the E string to minimize shifting

4 Likes

@Jamietashi, my bass has got enough frets to do the cover. The problem might be the one handling it :sweat_smile:

The thing is I just started to work on my first cover song and I will need to work on the technical part of recording as well. So that might take quite some time.

If I manage to get through it fast enough, I might give the challenge a try, though I must admit that those high frets look a bit scary :laughing:

4 Likes

So I started practicing and found it useful to have the tabs in Noteflight:

I imported the whole Suite as Midi into noteflight and then created tabs for the first two bars by hand but if you want to continue you can use this as a starting point for your own noteflight sheet.
As I am still practicing I would recommend doing that because I currently still change tempo often. According to the sheet music I found the tempo is allegro (80bpm) if anyone is interested as it isn’t noted in Joshs Tab.

I also had a look at the original and it’s… different. I assume Josh adapted it for bass.

3 Likes

Can you import guitar pro files into noteflight? If so I have the entire tab Josh wrote to share

3 Likes

I don’t know guitar pro and what it can export but Noteflight can’t directly import them.
Regular Midis and something called “MusicXML” which is a standard I never heard of. Maybe export format of noteflight or something?

2 Likes

Here, MusicXML format
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eAFwfTOejddU3QugqFDccvxec0B2f8T5/view?usp=sharing

Just don’t assume it’s correct! Did my best to write it down, it’s possible something escaped. I know for sure the last bar is lacking something but my limited notation knowledge can’t put a name to it

4 Likes

Okay I haven’t checked but at least the first few bars are in order so here is the full prelude as written by josh, copied by @gcancella to guitar pro and then imported into noteflight:

Few adjustements I had to make:
It didn’t know the instrument from the XML so it played on a piano.
I had to cut out the Tab line, change the Instrument Part to “E-Bass” and then added another part “E-Bass (Tab)” and inserted the tab line there.
Compared to Joshs Notes it was an octave up but it was an easy fix as I just could select the whole part and move it an octave down.

Since you mentioned the last bar I compared to Joshs Tabs and a slur or tie was missing on that chord but I don’t understand what it means as it usually should be connected to the next note. I guess the transition to the low note should be smooth or you let the chord ring just a little longer!? I dunno. But I don’t think I’ll get that far soon anyway.

Oh also I was wondering about the 76bpm tempo. Did you adjust that for yourself or why is it at that tempo? As said as far as I can tell it should be 80bpm for the original.

4 Likes

Got it from here https://tunebat.com/Info/Cello-Suite-No-1-in-G-Major-BWV-1007-I-Prelude-Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Alexander-Rudin/0rWvGcPB1rrmZMW4gRCQa8, other sources give other tempos. I suppose it depends on the performer.

2 Likes