First String Purchase Ibanez SR300E

Having got fed up sitting on a very soft sofa to practice, I’ve decided that buying a stool doesn’t fall under any GAS purchase category, but can be deemed essential… So an order for a stool has duly been placed at a local music store.
I can pick up the stool this week, as the chain I ordered from is now reopening their stores after lockdown. My first trip to a music store since taking up the bass.
I thought while I was there, I would pick up a new set of strings for my Ibanez SR300E. I may not fit them immediately, as the current ones are still perfectly good.
But I’m keen to experience different strings, lean about the tone/feel differences, and also learn the process of changing the strings, so I guess I won’t wait too long before trying the new ones.
My question is, what strings should I get?
If they sound only marginally different to the strings supplied with the bass, I’m not going to learn much.
Equally if they are too weird, I’m probably not going to enjoy practicing.
Any advice for a first string purchase?
Anyone got an SR300E and tried some different types?
Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

@Mark_UK Hi Mark, as we have the same bass. I put on flatwound. Sooo nice the tone (to my deaf ear) just seems to match the bass. Kinder tae fingers. I went Fender 45 flatwound stainless.
Lets know what go go with. I put the strings in a zip bag as there still good.
Jamie
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

2 Likes

Thanks @Jamietashi, good to know that flat wound sound good with our specific bass. That could be worth me going for then.
Was there anything particular about the Fender flats that made you go for those ? Thanks

1 Like

Lived in the tropics, stainless was always first choice. I’ve only ever used Fender strings on all my basses and guitars. I even put a set on a travel acoustic guitar, she just sings. On Amazon I think £25.99.
I’m sure you all get a lot better replies from more experienced members.

2 Likes

Hi @Mark_UK,
I agree with Jamie,
I have flats and rounds on various basses but I like the flats over the rounds as they are warmer tonely and are smooth to play.
Just depends on the sizes you go for.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks @Jamietashi, really appreciate your advice. I’m going to look up the Fender flats and see if the store stocks them. Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36 , another vote for flats, looks like I will be coming back with a set!

2 Likes

I agree about the flat wounds. Keep in mind, when you take your current strings off, twist tie them together as you can always put them back on. It’s nice to experiment with different types of strings to see what suits you best.

4 Likes

Good advice @PamPurrs, I will definitely keep the current strings as they are still good, this is a change more for a learning exercise.

3 Likes

I’m actually thinking of putting the tape wounds back on my Yamaha. I had just taken them off a few days ago and put the rounds back on, but I just can’t stand playing with those things. They feel like barbed wire under my fingers compared to the silky smoothness of flats and tapes.

3 Likes

How would you compare the tapes versus the flats?

2 Likes

Same smooth texture, but the tapes are a bit warmer sounding with less attack. Both flats and tapes sound a bit like the double bass and both have nice sliding characteristics. From what I’ve read, the tapes last longer. They are a bit pricey on the front end though.

If you’re into slapping, rounds sound better.

The tapes and flats both sound great with a pick though. :smile_cat:

4 Likes

Thanks again @PamPurrs, really good info, cheers

3 Likes

Hi @Mark_UK,
Just did a google search on the different strings and google says flats offer more tone, tapes are more suited to fretless basses as they can cause excessive wear on fretted basses due to the nylon coating, and as most have said compared to rounds they just look ,feel and sound very warm to play. Mellllow :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36 for looking that up, kind of you.
Looks like I am destined to go mellow for my first string purchase :grin:
I’m going to go with the Fender 9050 55-105 flatwound, and give those a try, @Jamietashi has tried the Fender flats on my bass and given them the thumbs up.

4 Likes

@Mark_UK
Let us know how you get on with them please.
I’m thinking about swapping to flatwounds :+1:

3 Likes

Check out this thread…

4 Likes

Thank you @PamPurrs :blush:

1 Like

Will do @Mac, I should have them fairly soon and will let everyone know what I think.

3 Likes

@Mark_UK, one thing you will love about your Ibanez, is how quick a string change is. No running the string through a wee hole, they just slip on and off.
Jamie
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

3 Likes