Flat wound vs round wound strings

Wait - no. I’m confused.

Does Steve Harris play flat wound strings?
I genuinely thought you said he did, which was genuinely surprising… and I did no fact checking, and no nothing of Steve Harris’ rig other than he plays a mean P Bass.
So.
He plays round wound strings that are old and ‘flat’ sounding?
Or he plays flatwound strings?

I really don’t know.
Sarcasm meter is set to 0.00%

2 Likes

yes, he plays flat wound, high gauge strings. I don’t know how he manages to get such an agressive tone.

3 Likes

So I hear/read a lot of good things about the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flatwounds - anyone has tried these?? Apparently, Carol Kaye is a fan of them… :smile:

1 Like

No.
Way.
I never would have guessed.
Thanks for clearing that up @terb!

My respect for Steve Harris has just, somehow, deepened? Expanded? What a burly shredder.

3 Likes

LOL ok its all good bud!

Yes…with Iron Maiden Steve plays flat wounds. I found this on youtube…and coupled with the Rotosound flatwound Steve Harris signature strings, and the fact that his Fender signature P bass (god what I wouldnt give to have one of the sparkle blue with mirroed pick guard signature basses) comes with the Rotosound flatwounds…I would believe it…

BUT… when Steve is playing with British Lion he does let his strings age to give a flatter tone. Heard him say that in an interview somewhere… He doesnt want to have the same sound as he does with Maiden.

4 Likes

According to Steve Harris… he has a VERY low action on this bass and uses percussion vs. plucking the strings… either way still amazing!

I found a VERY good cover band bassist that describes Steve’s technique down to a T… (and no he does not use 3 fingers to get that “gallop” that he is so famous for…only 2). Actually its 13 videos…

If I can only learn to play The Trooper (or better yet Fear of the Dark) I will die feeling like I fulfilled my bass dreams!

And sorry to the original poster…I did it again…hijacked a thread. I think maybe I should start my own “Altar to Steve Harris” post…lol

6 Likes

Really good thread to re-visit. Especially now that I’ve tried both, and “get” what you all have been saying now. This is truly an experimentation thing, no way to know what you’ll like and prefer unless you give both a chance.

Both flat and round wounds are great in their own way. Maybe the best answer as to what one likes is to catch Multiple Bass Disorder , and have a bass with each type!

There’s something pure and smooth about the sound of flatwounds. But, I kind of miss the roundwounds now. There was just something about that sound that had more character to it, more possibility.

Random poll: If you had to choose, and only pick one of the two, to play forever after, and not be able to ever go back to the other, and couldn’t cop out of this answer, which would you pick?

• Flatwounds
  • Roundwounds

0 voters

3 Likes

Love the bright, sharp sound of rounds too much, couldn’t give that up.

3 Likes

You know how I voted, dontcha?

I abhor round wounds, I don’t care what they sound like. I hate the way they feel under my fingers… like barbed wire. And sliding on those things is torture.

I have flats on my fretless bass and tape wounds on my fretted bass (which should be included with the flat wound choice in the poll). They’re both smooth as Mercury, sound great with good sustain, and so fun to slide.

5 Likes

I think this just goes to prove we all need another bass. :+1:

7 Likes

Always roundwounds for me . . . . :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve played only rounds so far just because that is what came on my basses and I stuck with rounds out of not knowing. I got the curiosity to try different things, and just this morning I restrung my J with flats. I love them so far (the whole 15 minutes I’ve tried them). I love the feeling of them on my fingers, and really enjoy the tone I’m getting. I will see how I like them after I’ve broken them in a bit, but early results show I just might be a flatwound type of guy…

5 Likes

Okay, I’m going to kick over this bee hive again… :honeybee: :honeybee: :honeybee:

I SWORE I would never go back to round wounds. I’ve stated how much I hate how they feel like barbed wire under my fingers. I’ve stated how much I hate the residual noise they make.
I’ve gotten really nice sound out of my flat wounds and tape wounds, plus they are smooth as silk for sliding. But rounds have one thing going for them IMO: they are better for slapping. They also have a different sound to them, which works with certain types of music.
Ever since I started playing my fretless, which has flat wounds (as fretless basses should), I have largely ignored my fretted bass. So today, I decided to give her a purpose. She will be my designated slapping bass. I removed her tapewounds and replaced them with rounds. I still hate the way rounds feel on my fingers, but I have gloves for that.
So, here I am; eating my words. :canned_food: :stew: :bowl_with_spoon: :green_salad: :salt: :rice:

9 Likes

What?! Not only are you putting round wounds on your bass but you’re about to start practicing slap?

Good for you @PamPurrs!

7 Likes

LOL yeah, and I have also stated that I’m not interested in slapping :rofl:

Eating more words. :canned_food: :stew: :bowl_with_spoon: :green_salad: :salt: :rice:

7 Likes

Definitely a brighter sound, Pam . . . and although I’m not very interested in slapping , I know they would be better for that as well :slight_smile:

Cheers and good luck with them!

All best, Joe

4 Likes

@Jazzbass19 I still love the sound (and feel) of flats. You should just give them a try some day.

4 Likes

I do have flats on my Gibson SG . . . :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve never used anything except round wound. Sorry to of zero help.

3 Likes

And… you made fun of gloves!

Wow… has someone checked the current temperature in that Place Below?? :thinking:

6 Likes