First String Purchase Ibanez SR300E

Same smooth texture, but the tapes are a bit warmer sounding with less attack. Both flats and tapes sound a bit like the double bass and both have nice sliding characteristics. From what I’ve read, the tapes last longer. They are a bit pricey on the front end though.

If you’re into slapping, rounds sound better.

The tapes and flats both sound great with a pick though. :smile_cat:

4 Likes

Thanks again @PamPurrs, really good info, cheers

3 Likes

Hi @Mark_UK,
Just did a google search on the different strings and google says flats offer more tone, tapes are more suited to fretless basses as they can cause excessive wear on fretted basses due to the nylon coating, and as most have said compared to rounds they just look ,feel and sound very warm to play. Mellllow :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36 for looking that up, kind of you.
Looks like I am destined to go mellow for my first string purchase :grin:
I’m going to go with the Fender 9050 55-105 flatwound, and give those a try, @Jamietashi has tried the Fender flats on my bass and given them the thumbs up.

4 Likes

@Mark_UK
Let us know how you get on with them please.
I’m thinking about swapping to flatwounds :+1:

3 Likes

Check out this thread…

4 Likes

Thank you @PamPurrs :blush:

1 Like

Will do @Mac, I should have them fairly soon and will let everyone know what I think.

3 Likes

@Mark_UK, one thing you will love about your Ibanez, is how quick a string change is. No running the string through a wee hole, they just slip on and off.
Jamie
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

3 Likes

I was just watching a YouTube video about that very subject @Jamietashi :scream:

3 Likes

Thanks @Jamietashi, good to know. I watched a video on string changing (can’t remember who) where they said rather than remove all the strings first (which causes a big tension change on the neck), change one string at a time, leaving the others on the bass. Seems like a good approach?

4 Likes

Yes, that is a good approach, @Mark_UK . . . :slight_smile:

4 Likes

2 Likes

What Joe @Jazzbass19 said is best for a string change.
Those strings fit in perfect and give me 20th at the first so a nice fit in the nut Mark.
Neck relief is at 12 th which to me is perfection. I thought I may have had to adjust the truss rod but one week in and she is at perfection
Jamie
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

4 Likes

That’s how I do it, starting with the lowest (B) and finishing with the highest (G).

5 Likes

Taking all the strings off is fine. How else would you clean your fretboard and polish your fretwires? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I periodically slide a thin cotton cloth under the strings, and clean and polish by pulling it back and forth, up and down the neck multiple times. It keeps things nice and tidy and clean.

3 Likes

That’s what I do too, @PamPurrs . . . GMTA :wink:

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

When I change strings, I take them all off. Gives me a chance to clean and condition the fretboard and fix any fret issues. This is also when I deep clean and perform any other maintenance needed. Also, the instrument gets a full new setup (by myself). That’s just me though.

6 Likes

That makes sense when you change strings after a long while and they’ve worn out to the point where they need to be changed. That’s a good time to perform maintenance. I’ve been experimenting and changing strings from one type to another after they’ve only been in use for a short time, so I don’t find it necessary to perform maintenance at that time. I do, however, clean the neck and the strings on a regular basis with thin, soft cotton cloth.

3 Likes