First String Purchase Ibanez SR300E

I was just watching a YouTube video about that very subject @Jamietashi :scream:

3 Likes

Thanks @Jamietashi, good to know. I watched a video on string changing (can’t remember who) where they said rather than remove all the strings first (which causes a big tension change on the neck), change one string at a time, leaving the others on the bass. Seems like a good approach?

4 Likes

Yes, that is a good approach, @Mark_UK . . . :slight_smile:

4 Likes

2 Likes

What Joe @Jazzbass19 said is best for a string change.
Those strings fit in perfect and give me 20th at the first so a nice fit in the nut Mark.
Neck relief is at 12 th which to me is perfection. I thought I may have had to adjust the truss rod but one week in and she is at perfection
Jamie
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

4 Likes

That’s how I do it, starting with the lowest (B) and finishing with the highest (G).

5 Likes

Taking all the strings off is fine. How else would you clean your fretboard and polish your fretwires? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I periodically slide a thin cotton cloth under the strings, and clean and polish by pulling it back and forth, up and down the neck multiple times. It keeps things nice and tidy and clean.

3 Likes

That’s what I do too, @PamPurrs . . . GMTA :wink:

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

When I change strings, I take them all off. Gives me a chance to clean and condition the fretboard and fix any fret issues. This is also when I deep clean and perform any other maintenance needed. Also, the instrument gets a full new setup (by myself). That’s just me though.

6 Likes

That makes sense when you change strings after a long while and they’ve worn out to the point where they need to be changed. That’s a good time to perform maintenance. I’ve been experimenting and changing strings from one type to another after they’ve only been in use for a short time, so I don’t find it necessary to perform maintenance at that time. I do, however, clean the neck and the strings on a regular basis with thin, soft cotton cloth.

3 Likes

I change the strings on my performance bass’ every 3 months. On my practice bass every 6. On the rest, whenever they nasty or sound quality drops off.
I’m blessed to have a wife that allows money to be put into an account for my equipment. So, string cost isn’t a huge deal. I buy 6 sets at a time.
I’m so lucky to have a friend that does tech work and setups professionally and allows me to buy at his cost. Saves me tons.

7 Likes

Haha… I am very mechanically inept! At this point, I have always paid for professional setup for each bass- I have a small independent guitar shop in the area and I really love the luthier there. I always take each of them back in when I want string replacements. Maybe one day I will muster up the courage to tinker around a bit and revisit all these forum replies for advice!

5 Likes

I did it yesterday for the first time.
Adjusted truss rod, and set up the action the way I like. It’s way easier than expected and there is barely a reason to be scared. Of course be careful with adjusting the truss rod but as long as you listen to the advice of others and always adjust max. one quarter turn it should be fine.
This video is all I used as resource:

Apart from allen wrenches you don’t need any special tools really.

Of course I informed myself outside of the video but in the end the video had everything I needed/wanted. Including a bit more detail about the differences of different action.

5 Likes

Marcelo’s videos are often very good, I have watched a lot of his YouTube stuff. He has others on fret buzz, intonation etc.

5 Likes

Yeah I really like his stuff.

3 Likes

@lee_editorial there is nothing wrong getting your bass professionally set up. If you have two bass you will always be good. And it’s good for your local shop.
As long as you have the exact size of hex key’s it is not too difficult, just always make sure they are a good fit as if you strip nut out it is a big job. The difference in hex keys can be very small and not noticeable.
Jamie
:guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

4 Likes

Well as mentioned on my first post on this thread, I have now had a trip out this evening to a music superstore that is now open after lockdown (not too close 44 mile round trip), to get my stool and new strings.
Unfortunately they didn’t have the Fender flatwounds that @Jamietashi has tried and says sound good with my bass, so they are now coming from Amazon. Looks like Saturday will be string change day and flatwound audition day. Let you know what I think.

6 Likes

Hi @Mark_UK,
Picked these up yesterday.
They are what I use and when I was talking to the guys at the bass centre in South Melbourne, they advised that these are the most popular strings they sell.
Sorry to confuse??
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@TNKA36 Hi Brian, thanks for the recommendation, more options to try down the line always welcome. The write up for the Slinky’s says they are brighter than other flatwounds, more like rounds. Is that your experience with them? Be keen to hear your thoughts having tried them, thanks? Cheers

4 Likes