Purchase explanations/excuses for your partner

The kids are watching TV in here half the time I’m able to practice. I can’t keep moving this stuff back and forth between rooms.

I suppose headphones could be fine on those days. There’s a headphone jack on this modeling profiler effects DI preamp.

5 Likes
  • Won it in a giveaway
  • Got it as a reward for a favour I did several years ago
  • Found it right there on the street, by the dump! Can you believe it?! Someone’s trash is really someone’s treasure!

That’s the way I see it. Poking fun at the stereotype!

Thankfully my missus thinks as long I’m not interfering with home finances or other plans it’s all good.

5 Likes

What honestly happens here is that I am relaxed, happy and excited every time I play. She wants to support and encourage anything in my life that’s so good for me.

6 Likes

:laughing: that’s a classic for IT gear. “I needed an USB hub so I bought one with an ultra HD display attached.”

2 Likes

I can’t believe they have to package strings in such a big box.

4 Likes

Updated the initial post to add all your replies!
I’m really enjoying the contributions here.

The problem with the strings excuse… Some strings are more expensive than some gear.

3 Likes

How about the excuse that is partially working for me at the moment?
“Anything I’ve spent recently only adds up to a fraction of what you’ve spent on your horse” :horse_racing:
(Takes the moral high ground for a while)

3 Likes

“It’s not a new bass, I just had the old one painted”
(Apparently works well if you buy a bright orange bass)

3 Likes

That “found it at the dump “ actually happened to one of our neighbours! He picked up an Ibanez ( can’t remember which one but it’s not cheap) off of a pile of rubbish.
It was missing one control knob and the 9v battery. I’m just waiting until he’s broke again :joy:

6 Likes

A new one sprang to mind when reading this:

I had to order something small so I have the chance to win the raffle!

5 Likes

Here’s a new one … well the Hipshot tuner was $160 so I bought a $100 bass and saved us $60 :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Make that $260 plus post :scream:

4 Likes

Those damned hidden costs

4 Likes

In the interests of fairness and full disclosure, although I have contributed to the excuses to give a partner on this thread, I have to be honest and say my partner is nothing but supportive of me taking up bass.
I have spent money, commandeered rooms in the house for kit/practice area, used up Saturdays with her were she has come with me to visit guitar stores, watched a million YouTube review videos when I should be walking the dogs, and not practiced with headphones…
Not once has she complained, and at our latest visit to a guitar store, when she saw how much I liked the bass I was trying, she was all for getting it.
Over many years I have returned the favour with her horse passion, and that’s how it should be - support each other and remember you can’t take the money with you when you’re gone.

11 Likes

I’m in the same boat @Mark_UK. I’ve even ended up with a horse myself lol :joy:. He’s become a real Zen thing for me along with my bass playing as I’m using them as a rehab tool after my accident ( well I begrudge calling it that)

7 Likes

Hi @Mac, glad you have both the horse and the bass to Zen out to.
When I first met my wife, she taught me to ride (she’s an excellent tutor), but it was more a case of if you want to date me, you need to keep up with me on a horse! I even did some jumping on a very trustworthy ‘old timer’ horse who was happy to make me look good, but really it was the horse taking me over the jumps!
I’m not fit enough to ride now, but they are good memories.

4 Likes

I used to ride too and m hoping to get my fitness back one day to get back on. I mostly spend my time with Charlie ( the horse) brushing him and telling him my troubles lol

3 Likes

@Mark_UK you and I are fortunate in the fact that we have spouses that support us. Sara knows how prudent I am with our finances, and trusts that I won’t spend money on gear and fail to pay our mortgage payment as a result.

I still love playing around with the funny excuses though :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Me too! We still tease each other, but it’s done in fun. And (at least on current tally) I have the cheaper hobby so far, so tend to win any verbal sparring games :grin:
I agree you and I are fortunate :+1:

4 Likes

PS along with the Rumble 100 that’s just got delivered, along came a Fender Jazz too.
So if my wife asks, that was a free offer Fender were running ok?

7 Likes