Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup

Oops. Sorry, I should have read closer. Didn’t mean to clutter the inbox. Good luck to you.

3 Likes

@Howard, you did it again… your words of wisdom have caused me to make another decision.

I cancelled my order for the Behringer DAI and ordered the Zoom U-44. I found a place that had 2 in stock, and they even did a price match and knocked the price down $40.00. They say I should have it this Sunday.
I’ve never done business with these guys before, I hope they do what they promised.

3 Likes

The thing about the U-44, it states that it’s 4 in, but in reality is only 2 in (although it IS 4 channels). What makes it special is that you can get an adapter for it, which adds 2 more inputs, thus the “4 in”.
The adapters themselves are pretty cool, and I can see how one can end up spending a lot of money.

4 Likes

Look what the FedEx guy brought me…

6 Likes

Nice! I hope you’ll enjoy it.

Waiting for my UMC404HD, but the delivery time for that item has gone down to 1-2 days until sent.

4 Likes

Pam I’m excited for you, I cant wait to hear how you master this. :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:
@PamPurrs

4 Likes

More goodies delivered today…

7 Likes

Like Christmas time already :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s Christmas every month at our house. Sara and I buy each other a gift the 25th of every month. I got this one a bit early.

6 Likes

I’m only slightly nervous that the “Quick” start guide is 51 pages :astonished:

5 Likes

Late to the party on this, but I pulled the trigger on and received the PreSonus USB 96. The bundled DAW (Studio One) is pretty decent, enough so that my collaborator from out of state picked up the same DAW and we’ve already exchanged a file.

Edit: It seems completely adequate for recording directly from the bass or effects pedal directly into the DAW. I’ve fiddled with it enough to confirm the functionality and was able to lay down a simple groove under the four bar track my friend composed. I can edit that track out to an infinite number of bars in the DAW and get some stuff going. Still fine tuning.

6 Likes

@GalleyCat I’ve tried quite a few different DAWs. but somehow never got around to Studio One. I really haven’t heard much about it, but I’m glad it’s working for you, especially since it was bundled with your DAI.

2 Likes

It’s pretty solid. My collaborator is a Cubase user and it’s very similar to Cubase, per him.

2 Likes

Mhhh… I wanted to check the price of studio one and the presonus shop site keeps running into a 504: Gateway error for me.
Anyway - what version is bundled with the PreSonus DAI? Studio One Artist or Professional?
The interface looks not too hard to understand and pricing seems around the same range as Reaper with the Artist one around 60€

Interesting to have a studio one user here. So far I’ve heard of Ableton and Reaper. Started using Reaper and am very happy with it so far. Watched like 1 instruction video and was able to arrange my song the way I wanted.

4 Likes

@juli0r Artist is the version bundled with the interface.

4 Likes

That’s the worst part @PamPurrs,
The manuals that are written in jargon.
I bought a DVD player some time ago and couldn’t get it functioning correctly and when I went back to the retailer they said to me you are gunna have to rtfm.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I use a Spire recorder, a shure 57, and a drum loop app on my phone. I just realized how simple and plain that is…LOL

3 Likes

Like this one?

Any setup involving a mic is not simple and plain anymore IMO.
But once you’ve settled on the hardware you use for recording it’s always simple. Or at least it should be as you don’t want to be held up by the technical side of recording.

1 Like

exactly like that one…the first couple of recordings I made I used the built in mic and then just started using the 57s because I had them laying around. If I’m paying attention I usually can get a song recorded in an evening. I just agonize over vocals because I don’t want to hear my voice and I’m pretty sure no one else does either but I’m all I got…LOL

3 Likes

Sorry to disappoint but I’ve come to like my voice :wink:

I had the same problem and decided to start vocal training in order to be able to create/record songs with lyrics without having to use tuning software or outsourcing the vocal part. It’s not that I am a good singer by now but something every singing teacher/vocal coach will tell you: Your vocal chords are controlled with muscles in your body and like every other muscle it will get stronger when used and trained.

I record my training sessions on video to have a more objective eye than my own perspective while singing and when I’m hitting and holding the right notes it (almost) doesn’t matter what kind of voice I use - sounds good.
With kind of voice I am talking about wether the voice is a bit distorted/raspy, very clean or with a lot of belting. If you don’t know what I’m talking about here just ignore it.

Most untrained people think they’re voice is horrible because they either sing off-key or aren’t able to hold a note or both and both issues are possible to adress.

5 Likes