Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup

That all makes perfect sense, definitely unprepared to do what needs to be done. Not that it can’t be learned, just presently unprepared.

4 Likes

I understand that and it takes the same amount of time and practice as learning an instrument would so I can understand anyone saying it’s too much effort for him/her.

I just wanted to point out that the perception of having an awful voice is most likely not the sound of your voice but lack of training. At least that’s what all the online trainers and lessons and coaches have told me and having seen examples of that and observing the progress I make myself I have to agree. It’s like expecting to pick up a bass and instantly groove on it without having learned the instrument.

If I ever reach a state of “yeah, I can publish this singing cover” I plan on making a post detailing my progress including the horrible recordings I have done for the last few days in order to encourage others to start the process. But that’s an if and still may take quite a while.

A sidenote: low quality microphones like on gaming headsets may also cause some grief while listening back to your voice even if your singing is okay. I noticed a few years back when recording DS3 letsplays. That’s where my current mic is from - I hated my voice recorded with the low quality mic.

5 Likes

After a couple of weeks of research I went for Focusrite Scarlet Solo 3rd Gen. I have been Ampless for always so I am missing a good tone control but other than that it is super easy and super light (really small device)

I managed to connect it to my Android tablet and phone (even though it was stated that only Apple devices were supported.) and it can register there as well.

The drivers and handling of Audio Inputs/Outputs work great but I don’t have much experience with anything else to compare it to. I had some experience with Ableton Live and it had a curve for sure but nothing a couple of hours of YT search can’t fix…

3 Likes

I also went the Scarlett Solo route. I picked one up last week because there was a deal for a b-stock on Reverb. I had no interest in recording until the enablers on this forum worked their insidious evil magic on me. I figured that I might as well take advantage of a deal when I saw one and figure out what to do with it later, which I guess is the first sign of G.A.S.

I’ll be interested in seeing how it works out for you. I intend to use mine on my iPad. It took a few cable and adapter purchases to set up but seems to have worked out, at least in terms of everything getting connected correctly. I haven’t yet delved into the registration and setup process. I probably won’t try that until I’m done with B2B.

3 Likes

Very nice! Always interested in first hand experiences so let me/us know how it works out for both of you. Since you record ampless remember to try out the virtual amp/cab effects of your DAW.

As I said I think the scarlett solo is perfectly fine if you just want to record bass. Okay - I said one input is enough but the sentiment is the same.

I also noticed that with my active bass the recording directly via line-in sounds way better due to the internal preamp of the bass.

2 Likes

So now that I have some money again I ordered the Behringer UMC404HD as planned.

Excited to try it out. Also have to borrow the stage mic an audiophile friend of mine has. So many projects… But it feels good to fill my time with productive and constructive things instead of binging the next tv series on netflix as couch potato.

So far I’m happy with making room in the budget for another bass as the purchase sequence of me now is: amp, bass, DAI and that makes sense to me.

2 Likes

… but you already have a bass!

:rofl: :joy: :laughing:

4 Likes

Technically it’s not mine.
I am in posession of it and it would probably be okay to keep it indefinitely but I do not own it. Technically.

Or maybe you misunderstood me - I was talking about my past decision of canceling the order of the 404HD in order to have budget for another bass which turned out to be the ESP Ltd

1 Like

Well it is so straightforward that I did this without thinking. One night I was struggling with this “song that should not be named” and wanted to send a video to a musician friend to take his opinion.

I was sitting in front of my PC with my old bass in my hand. Went to skype to send a video message simple as hell…

No editing. No sound conditioning. Nothing! Just a passive bass guitar connected to Scarlet Solo

You can see that video and sound quality are in different leagues and the reason is that the shitty camera of my laptop and audio input from scarlet solo got put together!

I will do this again for your other thread about this “song that should not be named” with better lighting and my new bass to see how much I have improved after 1 month of playing…

4 Likes

Nice!
Yes - the sound quality is really nice. Even without comparison to the video :wink:

Good job with the favorite lady of this forum! And I was just about to ask you to put the next video into the Billy Jean thread. As this one demonstrates the DAI quality it fits perfectly into here.

2 Likes

Wow!
My Behringer 404HD already arrived and I can’t test it because I have to work. Cruel world!
I just ordered yesterday around 17h. So I’m positively surprised at the delivery time.
I also wonder why the bass build kit did not arrive yet as I ordered it a few hours before the DAI.

Since I don’t want to do a second recording - Billie Jean Practice as Caped Bassist :wink:

It’s recorded with my DAI.
I routed the Line-Out of my PC to the second input, adjusted the mix at the DAI and used headphones (as you can see) as monitor. Very happy with the result and it was a lot easier to find a setup to record while hearing the backing track.

4 Likes

Which already was more effort than needed.
The DAI also counts as audio device so when setting up the computer I can just set it as main audio device and hear all the computer sounds too while they aren’t being recorded.

2 Likes

yes, it’s way better than to route the output to an input because of an un-needed digital-analog-digital conversion. even with a good quality DAC (which is most possibly not the case of your computers sound card), the good practice is to avoid digital to analog (and vice versa) conversions as much as possible.

2 Likes

Sorry crackle I crackle did crackle not crackle understand crackle what crackle you crackle said

2 Likes

very short version : the more direct the better :v::grin:

4 Likes

Sounding really good!

How are you recording the video?

1 Like

Hardware: Logitech C922 Pro Stream HD Webcam
Software: https://obsproject.com/ (Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming.)

I directly put my second monitor into the video with OBS. You can have multiple video and audiosources and arrange them as you want. You save arrangements as “scenes”. I have different saved up depending on the monitor and audio I want to record.

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool. I had no idea such a thing even existed. Are you able to feed the mix from the DAW directly or do you have to marry the audio up to it later?

2 Likes

Yes. As it counts as recording device for the computer you can directly feed it into OBS.
You can add any audio or video source or image and arrange it as you want on the video canvas.

I read your post again and realized you said DAW - although I did not do that it’s certainly possible. You just have to set up recording right. You can have the DAI audio output and input in the source in the video so that way you have what you play on the bass and what plays as backing track.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s interesting. I’ll have to start trying this to see how it works. I didn’t anticipate that the backing track output to the DAI would be available to feed into OBS. I was thinking I would have to feed a monitor mix from the DAW to OBS to get both into the recording.

2 Likes