Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup

I am going a simpler route since it’s just me right now. I am using an iRig HD2 which came with AmpliTube (although I’m mostly using garage band for now). I am interested in some of the other DAIs everyone had been talking about for more inputs/output options. The iRig is nice for now since I can use it with my Mac, iPad or iPhone all with either garage band or AmpliTube once I learn how to use it.

1 Like

I’ve created a comprison table for the ones most used here if that helps!?

What would you need the additional in/out for?

I saw your table which was very helpful. Thinking of microphone, etc for inputs or other musicians

2 Likes

Sooo… phantom power is a requirement for you. For everything else I don’t have more suggestions or tips for you to decide. I think the main decision would be how many inputs do you actually want/need for your purposes and then have a look at the models that fit both.

I’m not sure how the Behringer U-Phoria line works with the general Phantom Power button although I have it here. Could be that phantom power is deactivated for the inputs you set to “instrument” instead of “line-in”!? Would make sense.
I have a mic but it’s just USB and kind of mic/DAI already combined so I can’t test it.

2 Likes

personsus package ?
that’s what I got …

1 Like

Here’s a 16 channel DAI with mic inputs. I have an older discontinued version of this. It’s like having an entire mixing console in one RU without the physical faders and knobs. It’s primarily oriented toward a soft live reinforcement rig and also interfaces to a computer for multitrack recording.

16 channel presonsus rack mixer

3 Likes

What I forgot to mention about the video - There’s a flip effect as transition between the two scenes/takes. That wasn’t done with OBS but afterwards with a video editor. I used Video Pad - I own a license but I do not really recommend it. It’s not bad but… just okay. I guess such transition effects might even be possible with the editing tools windows 10 already brings.

As you did not know of OBS I wasn’t sure if that was clear to you and I wanted to add it so the information about my video is complete. And it may even be possible to use OBS for transitions too. I haven’t used the full potential of it. As said this was more to complete the information as you seemed more interested in the ways to setup the mix in recordings as video editing in itself.

1 Like

I appreciate the thoroughness! Thank you.

I was going down the road of using a separate camera and then trying to stripe the audio back onto the video. I didn’t really want to get into figuring out video editing software so this is much better!

2 Likes

A question from out of the blue, but I think this is the thread for it. Am I correct in saying that the USB connection from the DAI to the computer is used as both an input and an output of digital audio? Example: I use the laptop to play the backing track. It goes into the DAI, I hear it through my headphones, I play along and the mixed audio is then fed back to the laptop for recording by the laptop? Forgive my ignorance, but the little bit of recording I did 50 years ago was all analog and an input was an input and an output was an output and n’er the twain shall meet. Not used to a bi-directional audio signal on the same cable.

3 Likes

Yes, it is both an audio input and output.

However I wouldn’t use it to mix the output back in to the input. For that I would just record the computer audio track you want directly into the DAW. Most/all should support either loading audio tracks or audio playback into the DAW via a loopback output in the computer.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @howard!

4 Likes

NP! Note that it would be actually undesirable to mix the DAI output back into the input in most cases because usually you will be hearing the other tracks in the DAW as output while you are recording bass into a track via the input.

3 Likes

Yes, as @howard said, you don’t need to “record” the backing track a second time - just “get” it into your DAW. For instance, in GarageBand you can literally drag the mp3 file into Garageband and it will create its own track, to which you then record your bass.

As for the overall audio out: the DAW software usually lets you choose different devices for in- and output, as far as I know.

5 Likes

Yes, I’ve done that while recording just an audio track. I want to try to do a video using Quicktime. Can I use the DAI as the audio track to the video?

2 Likes

Yes, that is what I have done. I recorded the video on my iPhone, and the audio via the DAI in Garageband. After editing/mixing the audio, I save it as an mp3 and then pull the mp3 audio and the mp4 video (from the iPhone) into iMovie. Here, you need to sync both tracks (it is not that tricky with a bit of practice, but it is not completely without some minor issues; I had experienced the two tracks losing sync gradually over several minutes, and I still don’t know why).

I think there are other ways to do this - @Lanny does it a bit differently, if I recall correctly.

4 Likes

Thanks all for the input. (no pun intended)
:smile:

3 Likes

Not really as I was just talking about that with my DAI.

Your questions alread have been answered I just wanted to add that this ist he way I record videos too: use DAI as In & Output and record both in the video with https://obsproject.com/ but I don’t see any reason to not use Quicktime if it works for you and can record multiple audio sources :+1:

1 Like

Yes @joergkutter… I don’t use my iPhones camera to capture video. I use the “Photo Booth” app on my MacBook. Half my screen has the GB app open that I will be recording my bass track to, and the other half of the screen has the Photo Booth app open where I record the video. I have never had an issue with matching the two up, or noticed any latency issues.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

Has anyone used a direct guitar/bass to USB cable for recording?
Something like this:

3 Likes

Now that’s the smallest DAI I’ve seen yet! Can’t wait to hear how this goes for someone.

3 Likes