Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup

Just ordered the Behringer UMC204HD. Now I have to find an friend-alibi that “had it in a corner gathering dust” :shushing_face:

6 Likes

Oh, WOW! That’s … probably a shoestring with a carbon fibre core and a gold mantle… :joy:
Here’s my recording setup:

1. a cable to connect the preamp out of my bass amp to the line in of my computer: €8,00 (including shipping).
  2. Audacity: €0,00

I used that setup to record my first cover over a minus-bass track, kindly supplied to me by its composer. I think it sounds good enough for me. :slight_smile:

… okay, I have to admit that I recently upgraded to Reaper, which adds an additional 60 bucks to the tally, but that’s only because I wanted MIDI support in my DAW.

4 Likes

Yeah. I thought so too.
“What kind of shoestrings does he have?”

Those 60bucks are well spent in my opinion. I immedietaly bought it after the trial period ended. I already used it extensively to record and compose stuff.

@Mac I’m still only using my phone as a phone, and that’s my limit.
Jamie

4 Likes

@Jamietashi I’m glad it’s not just me :joy:

3 Likes

@howard now you have me curious about my setup…

I currently have a 1/4 cable from the effects “send” on the amp, to one of the inputs on my U-44. From the U-44, audio cables from the “line out” jacks to the aux in on the amp. It works splendidly.
Are you saying it would be even better to connect the amp to the DAI via XLR cable?
Since the U-44 doesn’t have a XLR in port, I would have to use a cable with one end XLR and the other 1/4.
Can you clarify this?

1 Like

Hi @peterhuppertz,
Just listened to the cover.
Very nice fusion, and the vocalist has a great voice.:+1:
Great job.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

It’s fine. The FX Loop Send Output is after the pre-amp. I just tested and if you don’t use any effects you don’t even need to return the signal to the amp!? It doesn’t work like a headphone jack.

XLR is used in professional audio and live setups as it ensures no loss over long distances. So it won’t make a difference to you and since you would use a converter cable there probably isn’t even a difference.

The FX Loop is meant to be used for effects after the pre-amp.
You can use Effects chained directly after your instrument and go into the amp so the effect affects the sound before the preamp and you can use your effects loop to add in effects after the preamp.

An example Setup would be:
Bass → Tuner → Compressor → Distortion → Overdrive → Amp → Amp FX Send → EQ → DAI → Amp FX Return

But it all depends on how and when you want to affect the sound.
Your current setup certainly works and I don’t see the need to change it to the Line Out. Just wondering about the return of the signal - without effect pedals to actually do something to the signal no need to return it. And if you do use effects I would use the Effects return as it has an 1/4" input.

2 Likes

The reason I have the “line out” on the DAI connected to the “aux in” is so I can hear it. Otherwise, there is not sound.

Your suggestion about connecting to the “return” on the effects loop of the amp simply doesn’t work. The only way I have been able to do this is via the aux in.

The reason I have it setup this way is so I can have my bass, drum machine, guitar, and anyone who wants to jam with me plugged in to the amp together, since the U-44 has 4 inputs.

2 Likes

You would prefer the XLR, as the signal goes through a high pass filter and cabinet simulator. And will be more close to the original rumble sound than the fx send

3 Likes

That is weird.
That’s what I meant with “I tested it”.
I have the rumble 100 too and just connected the effects send to the DAI. I still hear the amp.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll give it a try. I had to order a cable which will be here in a few days.

2 Likes

Without the connection from the DAI to the aux in, I CAN hear the bass which is connected to input 1, but cannot hear the drum machine, which is connected to input 2, nor can I hear whatever instruments are connected to inputs 3 and 4. With the aux in connected, I can hear all 4 inputs just fine.

I have no explanation for this.

2 Likes

Oh okay. I did not take other Inputs in the DAI into consideration. The explanation is simple. Bass signal goes to the Amp and from the Amp to the DAI but the other instruments in the DAI are not routed to the Amp.

Sorry! You are right. With your setup including drum machine you need to send it back.

1 Like

The U-44 has XLR inputs :slight_smile:

Those 1/4" jacks are actually combo 1/4”/XLR connectors, just like on the U-24.

3 Likes

So I’m okay with the connection from the send on the effects loop to input 1 on the U-44 using 1/4 cable?

2 Likes

I would personally use the XLR out (with an XLR cable) to an XLR in on the DAI so you can take advantage of the ground lift if it becomes necessary.

But if the effects send via 1/4” is working for you, no need to change it.

3 Likes

Okay that sounds good, but since there is no XLR input on the U-44 I had to order this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JVCZ6DJ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

There are @PamPurrs!

Those accept either a jack or a 3 pin XLR

2 Likes

Oh… duh!!!

So what I would need is a male (U-44) to female (output on Rumble 100) to make this work. Correct?

3 Likes