Recycling a bass

When I first started on bass I got a new Gretsch short scale bass. Since I’ve been playing a few months and decided I will keep playing. I upscaled to a standard scale p-bass.
What would be the best way to recycle to gretsh ( I realize I have let go of an instrument since pre-internet days). I can’t see hanging on to the instrument, if I have a preference for the sound of the new bass. I would rather see someone else play it:

1. Craigslist
  2. Donate to school.
  3. something else?

Your thoughts please.

7 Likes

If you want to sell it locally, Craigslist is an option. If you want to reach a broader market, reverb.com is a good place to list it.

If you Reverb it, you can also consider offering it to B2Bers at a discount.

Some have donated unwanted/unplayed instruments to local schools or youth organizations.

Good luck on whichever path you choose.

5 Likes

Whatever you do don’t donate it, you are only on your second bass. You may entertain that thought when you reach double digits. Lol.

2 Likes

What would you like to get out of it? I’ve been seriously considering getting a short scale. Find a figure that you can accept that includes shipping to Indiana, u.s. and talk to me. We could maybe sort something.

5 Likes

I’m going today to bring the old guitar to the music school where I’m taking bass lessons, as I definitely am not going to play it anymore any time soon… so a donation would be my first option.
But my guitar sat abandoned for more than 10 years, so you may want to hold on to the Gretsch a little longer :smile:

4 Likes

AI1885, I tend to keep instruments in pairs : 2 banjos (can’t give those things away), 2 mandolins (cause I gotta have a backup), 2 guitars (Ovation & Strat), if I keep 2 basses then I’ll feel like I shouldn’t buy #3. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m not in a hurry to get rid of it. I feel it should get used.

5 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with used. You get some awesome instruments at pretty great price.

3 Likes

LOL yeah, I’m one of those. Honestly, if you have the space, I’d keep it. You never know when you’re going to want to play something different. My primary is a Ibanez Mikro SS when I want to play at work, but at home I alternate between my 13 basses, 3 of which are Ibanez…and I have a Gretsch G2220 too

1 Like

Recycled - sold to a b2b’er. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions & insight. Happy 4th!

8 Likes

Cool! Everyone wins.

3 Likes

I am the lucky recipient of this bass, and she’s a lovely little beast. My grandson is all about this coming to us. Says the first song he wants to learn on it is personal Jesus by depeche mode. Brought a little leakage from the old man eyes.
Thank you again, Tom!

8 Likes

Congrats, man. Glad it worked out.

3 Likes

Great song :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Here’s an update. This came last night after i went to bed. Luckily my girl was awake and heard the oops truck. A little funny because they sent a text at 6:52 saying it was delivered and she says it was about 10 pm.

It came in great condition. It’s been quite well taken care of, and the issues i found were minor. The only one that really stands out is the input Jack is a little sloppy, so I’ll pull it out today and tighten it up some.

It was a little funny watching me play the Barbie dream house version of a bass. I’ve never even picked up a short scale-and I’m a big guy 6’ and 250 lbs. I’m sure if someone saw it they would laugh.

The flatwound strings are a new thing for me, not really sure if i like it yet-but once i play it for more than 15 minutes I’ll have a read on it.

Once again, +1 for used equipment.

Thanks again to @tom_stamm ! Really appreciate all your help, sir. It’s gone to a good home.

4 Likes

Your welcome. Hope y’all enjoy it.

3 Likes