Regarding the Post your Covers thread

I buy the song from Amazon. They are usually around $1.30 or so per song, so not too expensive; and good quality.

Yes

That’s what I use

Up until recently, I used Premier Pro, but grew tired of having to pay the monthly extortion to Adobe. I now use Davinci Resolve. Not only is Resolve far superior to Pp, you can get a FREE version that has about 80% of the functionality. For a ONE TIME cost of $300, you can upgrade to the studio version and be done with paying for it forever. That’s what I did.

Until you go the full green screen/keying route, you can get by with a very basic and inexpensive video editor such as Movavi Video Editor. I’ve used it, and it’s decent for just basic video production. It sucks at keying, color adjustments, audio adjustments, and other higher level functions, but it’s a good place to start.

HTH
Pam

1 Like

Great advice again Pam! Much appreciated and I’ve taken all this down. Will start to get all the software/hardware. Also I didn’t realise buying songs was so cheap. I always used to buy vinyl then CD as was mostly an album buyer. But this is a great way to go. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

I should mention (if I haven’t in an earlier comment), once you have purchased the song and downloaded it to your computer, you need to work on removing the bass for your cover. I do this with Izotope RX8.
The next step is learning and recording your bass line over the (bassless) backing track.

1 Like

@PamPurrs Thanks for posting this I was feeling that everyone is so critical that when I am ready to post I will lose sleep over it…

2 Likes

Most everyone (not all, unfortunately) is very constructive with any comments they offer, which is quite helpful.

2 Likes

@PamPurrs but what you are saying is that there are critical unhappy assholes around here? LOL

2 Likes

41361613a4337ae793b631553be13ab38391a04e1f58d60f2af82664dfa61630.0

4 Likes

This is called life, sadly. Although we frown on it here and are generally positive, there is always a sprinkling

3 Likes

I felt like this too. I NEVER posted a video of me playing anything until this forum. Especially sax. It’s really easy to sax apart and I’m horrible in relation to most online posters. But here I felt comfortable.

A good solid dose of “Fu$& it” helps too. Just do it. We are all here to learn.

4 Likes

Funny thing, I didn’t record my first cover until October 2020, which was 17 months after I started learning bass. I didn’t feel that I was ready until then, and was afraid of the harsh criticism I’d get. I regret having waiting that long.
@MonsieurFahrenheit just do it. We are a pleasant lot.

3 Likes

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Compared with other bass communities this one is by far the most constructive and kindest.

There was this guy posting his vid where he did some experimental bass and he got shredded with hate comments because his bassline was too complex. This guy had over 40 year of experience and played in all the famous jazz clubs over the world. So I was like what a bunch of assholes. :roll_eyes:

Yes, I also absolutely despise dishonest people (yuck) but I think you should always praise and be constructive if someone is sharing something personal in a community imo.

3 Likes

Thanks Pam!

One more question (sorry lots of questions). Does a DAI need its own power supply or does it run from a laptop?

I’m asking as where I’m currently living uses a UK system, if I get anything from Europe outside the UK I need an adapter (I bought my amp from Thomann, Germany who sent an adapter with the amp so I could plug the European pins straight into the UK adapter.

But I can’t get items from the US that need a power supply as they also need a transformer, and I’ll be back home end of next year. So may as well buy kit that will work easier in the UK.

If the DAI doesn’t need a power supply, I can buy one from almost anywhere without worrying about it. If it does, then I’ll get one that takes UK power.

Regards,
Mike

2 Likes

@MikePhil

My Focusrite Scarlet DAI runs via USB power from my MAC. FYI.

3 Likes

It can run from USB or from a separate power supply.

3 Likes

@MikePhil

There are so many options for everything in this arena.

Do yourself a favor, keep it simple.
Focusrites are very good. Solid. You can generally find used for even cheaper.

Start with Reaper DAW (free version).
Use Davinci for video from your phone and syncing audio/video. There are folks here to tell with all of these things.

YouTube has videos on all of it.

Get your feet wet. It’s not hard unless you don’t try

4 Likes

From all the good comments I’ve heard about Focusrite, I would consider them if I ever need to replace my DAI. I need 4 inputs though (which I have with my Zoom U-44) and I don’t think Focusrite makes one like that.

2 Likes

@PamPurrs the 4i4 does, they just put 2 on the backside

https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-4i4

4 Likes

Thanks Pam, and John,

I’ll be taking video from a camera on a tripod, not from my phone. I spent good money on a good camera a couple of years back, may as well use it (it takes 4k video). I don’t like doing much on the phone, always prefer to do stuff on big kit (e.g. laptop)

All good advice here, I have a list of things to get on with now!

Thanks again
Mike

5 Likes

Thanks Barney,
Mike

3 Likes