Regarding the Post your Covers thread

I can cover the basics.

Recording video with your phone is generally fine
Recording audio - you will need some sort of DAW (reaper, garage band, abelton, peo tools) Tou need some sort of DAI interface (focusrite/USB amp output, etc) to get your bass signal in.

Hard to do both at same time on a pc as it taxes the cpu.

Your DAW can be used to upload a backing track, there are a few ways to drop out the bass line (eq in DAW, Transcribe+, Karaoke sites with cover tracks. You can use a paid for track or there are other ways to pull tracks from the web. Your DAW Can then export an MP3.

Then you need a video editor. IMovie works but a pain to sync the audio. Pam and I have discovered Davinci Resolve which is free and powerful (need a good CPU to run though. A few YouTube tutorials gets you up and running fast. You pull in the video and audio files and Resolve will auto sync based on waveform matching (your video needs to record the background track while you are recording your bass lines to do this, output of amp is fine). You can eyeball it via waveform but the auto sync is sweet.

Resolve can export the synced track to a file you can upload to YouTube or Vimeo etc for sharing.

The chromakey is @PamPurrs area, havenā€™t gotten that far, but a fairly easy feature in resolve from the tutorial ive watched. There are ways of pulling youtube content but Iā€™m not sure about that either. Iā€™m sure Pam is the expert here too.

4 Likes

Youā€™re light years ahead of me, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

@John_E about a week after switching to Resolve from Premier Pro, I took the plunge and bought a Speed Editor ($300), which includes a license for the Studio version of Resolve. Although the free version is fine for most applications, the Studio version makes better use of the computerā€™s CPU and GPU, therefore runs much better. Plus it has many features the free version does not. Andā€¦ the Speed Editor is an awesome tool for increased efficiency.

3 Likes

All this stuff can be daunting and frustrating at first but if you take it one step at a time (and write down what works so you remember) it gets easy and repetitive. Then you can ignore all the other features and buttons and get down to business.

Iā€™ve always wanted to sort it all out and glad I have.

The best thing to do is set aside focused time to sort out one thing at a time. Between the members here and YouTube recos from them you can learn how to do it all in a few days.

I donā€™t get fancy with my videos, mainly due to time constraints. Wish I was at @PamPurrs quality level, but that time is taken by sax practice and my sax teacher doesnā€™t care about videos :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Send me a link please @PamPurrs

2 Likes

I have a passion for creating videos, which is why I do what I do. This is me, and I donā€™t wish to set a standard or raise the bar for others. The NUMBER 1 most important thing when recording covers is the quality of your bass playing (Number 2 is audio quality).

4 Likes

Link to what?

1 Like

Speed Editor you mentioned.

2 Likes

Ah okay. Here ya go.ā€¦

1 Like

Hereā€™s a better oneā€¦

1 Like

AH! I did not realize you got the full version with that!
Will stick it in my save for later and when my CC points add up will nab it (i have a forced no more spending after the Stingray, i have gone nuts lately and need a break).

Thanks Pam!!!

2 Likes

GAS GAS GAS! LOL

Hereā€™s my video editing desk

4 Likes

Thanks Pam! This is fantastic info. I donā€™t mind buying some software. But anyway looks like I have a lot to learn! All good things to learn though. Iā€™ll start working on the things I need. Iā€™m planning on keeping the time going on learning the songs then putting something together after the summer. Currently where I live, there is a space with a big wall to do something but Iā€™m not in my house as working in another country from home, so sharing a block in an apartment, so canā€™t get lights and stuff (as will be hard to get it all home when I leave end of next year). Still, Iā€™ll do what I can.

June 5th you have only been 2 years on bass?? You seem very well advanced! Well done, you have obviously put the time in. Yes I liked both videos, and probably the Blackfoot one slightly more, just because you got that southern rock feel to the bass. Though Iā€™m a teenager from the new wave years so the Talking Heads one is ā€˜myā€™ era. Anyway Iā€™ll look out for it. Cheers!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot John. Great advice and tips. Combining yours and Pamā€™s comments gives me a good list to get started on! Lots to learn but itā€™ll be fun. I also have a son who is due to finish college in August, he used to make his own digital movies - may ask him for some help (probably will need a small fee, ha ha) and he is more up on handling video/audio than I am. This is really top class information - cheers for this

4 Likes

Yes I practice a lot! More than any human being should. But I started late in life and have much catching up to do.

Thank you for your kind words.

2 Likes

Is that a Raspberry Pi?

2 Likes

Itā€™s the Speed Editor for Davinci Resolve. I have no idea of the Raspberry to which you refer.

1 Like

I know what you mean, I started aged 57. I spent most of this weekend practicing (weekend here is Fri-Sat), which I havenā€™t been doing up till now - now Iā€™m through the beginnerā€™s courses I need to step up and put more effort in. Though my fingertips are sore now!

3 Likes

Ah OK, thanks. The R Pi is a cheap but powerful home computer/keyboard combo that can be plugged in to a screen and coded/programmed, not that I have even used one! The mini editing device/suite, do I need that hardware too?

2 Likes

Hi Folks, been looking for this thread, just found it again. I took notes from it before and came up with a possible list of what Iā€™d need. Does this sound about right?

DAW: Synching audio. One of:
Reaper
Garage Band
Abelton
Pro Tools

Removing bass from original audio
Q. what quality does the original audio (or video) need to be? Do you record from your own CD or download, or buy specifically for the recording, or from MP3, YouTube etc?
One of:
iZotope RX8
Transcribe+ (is this available for Windows? I could only see Apps for iOS and Android but I donā€™t want to work on my phone)

Recording own bass
One of:
Zoom U-44
Focusrite/Scarlet Solo 3rd Gen
Presonus 24c
Behringer UMC22

Video, for capturing videos for backdrops
Movavi Screen Recorder

Video editing software to synch video and audio tracks
One of:
Premier Pro
Davinci Resolve

Iā€™m amazed itā€™s now possible to isolate tracks of separate instruments with software, I always thought you had to buy a pro version of the audio that came with the tracks separated. This is fantastic for us!

I probably wonā€™t go for the full chroma key/green screen set up for now as I live in a block and not currently in my home country, so nowhere to store all the kit and then would have to get it all home with me or sell it when I leave. But Iā€™d be happy if I could get audio and video of me playing, alongside an inset of the original artist/band playing. I donā€™t have to be superimposed on their video for now. Something to aspire to and maybe my bass playing will be better by then!

Thanks to all who have already given me advice on this thread.

Mike

2 Likes