Regarding the Post your Covers thread

You guys will do well! You are fine tuning what you need on the home recording side, and are playing tight with those! Can’t wait to hear the originals too when you guys do them!

4 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @JerryP
I want to try recording using the same tools. Any links you can share on iMovie? Found this thread by searching the forums and anything you can share would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

3 Likes

Hi John!
Sorry for the long delay in the reply, I’ve been traveling the past few days. I checked out @Lanny 's website when I tried to used Garage Band and iMovie and it was a great help. I think @TNKA36 Brian also mention this in another post. If you have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer them if I can.
Jerry

4 Likes

@TNKA36 set me up with @Lanny’s website! Thanks all!

4 Likes

Just as a reminder, there’s a 50 song challenge running here: 50 Songs Challenge - BassBuzz Forum

Even if you’re not participating, lend us an eye and an ear. All feedback is welcome!

4 Likes

Happy you were able to figure things out using the website @Gecko

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

Wow @Lanny It’s great to hear from you!

6 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs Pam… Been very busy here at the Kingdom lately,… Missed last spring due to recovering from my heart operations so am pretty much a year behind and doing my damndest to get caught up on everything out here… Now that my pacemaker is operating at optimum output, I’m able to move faster than a speeding bullet and leap tall buildings just like I use to do back in the ‘50’s and 60’s…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

11 Likes

Here’s to ya Sis!!

14 Likes

Looking good, sir!

5 Likes

Great to see your big smile Lanny @Lanny

7 Likes

Good to see ya Lanny!

5 Likes

Hey, Lanny! . . . Great to see you again @Lanny . . . :slight_smile:

Don’t be such a stranger . . :wink:

All best,
Joe

7 Likes

Been really busy out here this spring Joe @Jazzbass19… Had to get the garden in, and also remodel an out building so that my wife could use it as her garden shed. Since I had my heart operation 18 months ago, I had to take it easy for awhile which put me way behind on my projects and maintenance tasks here at the Kingdom… Gotta get as much done out here while the spring temperatures are at least “workable”… In another couple months, we’ll be at the typical Middle Georgia temps of 100+ degrees…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

8 Likes

Hey folks!!

I’m sure there is a thread here somewhere that talks about the easiest way to create the cover videos. Can someone direct me to it or if there isn’t one can somebody in the simplest terms possible give me an explanation? I’m a tutorial has been done a few times for rookies and noobs like myself.

A parts list or things I will need would be great as well… and maybe even some pictures. I’m dying to put something up on the site. I’m thinking more on the 50 Song Challenge thread but you never know I might put on up on the cover thread as well.

Thanks in advance!!

2 Likes

Hi BigRichie, did you get a reply or some info on this? I am looking to do similar but knowing where to start is the tricky part. I have a decent camera with 4K video and sound, so that’s something to begin with.

3 Likes

Hi Pam, I’m also in Mark Smith’s group, and we’ve messaged before. I was really impressed by your last two videos, Talking Heads and Blackfoot. I’m at the level now as a beginner, where I can play a handful of songs, all basic stuff, and would like to make some videos. Not for YouTube but just that I can post maybe on my own FB page for example, for friends and in the community like here and Mark’s group where there are a lot of learners like me. But how to start? I have a good camera and tripod, camera is 4K video, but that’s it. Apologies if these questions have been answered before (and I will read through the thread after this) but these are the things I’ve been wondering about:

1. How do you get the video of the band you are covering, as a backdrop to yourself playing? Green screen, chroma key? I have no clue as to the software required. I’m happy to pay for good software. Or, the music video alongside the person playing bass, as a small inset window (as many YouTube reactors do)

2. How so you synch your bass track with the original audio?

3. This leads on from the last question, I know you said you prefer to record your bass track, get a good take, then use that in the final video (so it was still played live by you of course) but the actual video of you is not the one we are hearing (because as you pointed out, if you record the video live each time, and make a mistake - as I’m sure I will! - you have to keep recording the video over and over, so better to get the bass track down first). Now you have three elements - your recorded bass track; you playing on the video (presumably with the bass quiet or removed from the final mix); and the video of the band you are covering. Again, how do you synch all these?

4. Do you remove the bass from the original audio/video of the band you are covering, or mute the sound of the bass track as much as possible, or try to find a version that has the bass already removed?

5. How do you record your bass? With a mic to the speaker or a digital input? And if the latter, what does a digital input go into? (please forgive my ignorance as a newbie!)

6. Do you use extra lighting etc. to get a good quality video? (your videos come out really well visually, as well as audio)

Happy to message you privately too if this has all been covered on this forum, I can’t FB message you unless we are FB friends (happy to send you a friend request), but also there may be other newbies like me wanting to film themselves playing, and are right at the start of the process, with similar questions.

Thanks Pam in advance for any advice, and thanks for inspiring me with your videos to try doing some myself (I am less than a year playing, started August last year)

Regards,
Mike

3 Likes

Thanks Mike, have changed it now!

2 Likes

Greetings @MikePhil,

I’m happy to try to answer your questions and help you as much as I can…

I use Movavi Screen Recorder for capturing videos for my backdrops. It’s inexpensive and easy to use.

Yes and yes. There is an investment required here in both space and money. You can get somewhat inexpensive backdrop stands and green screens, but I have a more elaborate setup, since my spouse does photography. Proper back lighting and front lighting are essential in order to get a good key, but I won’t get into that here as it is very complex.

That’s done with a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation. There are lots of threads here on that topic. I use Reaper, but there are many other choices, many of which are used by our fellow Buzzers.

I actually DO record the audio when I shoot the video. Who knows, it could come out better than the pre-recorded one (but never does). In either case, it’s easy to sync my video track with the audio track in my Video Editing software. Many of the better video editors have this capability: I know Premier Pro did when I was using it, but now I use Davinci Resolve (which has much better tools). Once I have synced the original backing track (minus the bass) with my bass track, and then synced the track from the video with those, I simply remove the audio track from the video.

Yes, I use iZotope RX8 for removing the bass from my backing track. Yes, this is another monetary investment, but well worth it if you plan do do a lot of covers.

That’s done with a DAI (Digital Audio Interface). Again, there are many threads here on the forum on that topic. Basically, your bass goes into the DAI, and the DAI goes into the DAW. It’s a bit more complex than that, but that’s the simple explanation.

Yes, as I mentioned above, proper lighting is very crucial to getting good quality. You can spend a fortune on studio lighting, but I made my own out of shop lights, wood, and light stands (more about that in another conversation, if you’re interested).

Also, thank you for your compliments on my cover videos. I will be posting my next one on June 5th (My 2 year bassiversary).

Cheers,

Pam

5 Likes