Regular strap or lock strap?

I’ve noticed a lot that all kinds of bassists use different kinds of straps.
However, which one would work better?
I think the lock straps work better due to the fact the you don’t necessarily have to worry about you bass falling down half way through a performance or a practice session.

Whats your thoughts?

3 Likes

I don’t think the opinion is controversial.
You can argue what kind of lock straps you like more but I have never heard an argument that regular straps are better for any kind of purpose compared to lock straps.

That said I still just own a regular strap. Might invest before a gig though. Might be a while due to corona though.

4 Likes

I’ve got Ernie Ball lockers on two of my basses and they are very good. No issues and do exactly what they should.
However, recently (after getting my Rickenbacker)I started using the Dunlop? rubber washer set up and they are excellent and certainly worth trying. And relatively cheap

3 Likes

I always use straplocks of some kind. I have Warwick’s Dunlop-style on my Warwick, Schallers on my Yamaha, and I do the Grolsch-washer thing on my guitar.

Schaller is the best IMO.

4 Likes

Take a looky here

5 Likes

It may be worth noting that any strap (the piece of cloth or leather you use to hang the bass around your neck/shoulder) can be combined with any strap lock (the part you use to attach the strap to the bass). Of course, without a strap lock of any kind, you just attach the strap using the strap buttons that your bass comes with. The choice of strap and whether you use strap locks or just the strap buttons is a matter of personal preference.

3 Likes

@itsratso

I believe you may be thinking of this:

PW-DLC-01 Dual-Lock Strap Lock

I use them on my ukuleles and Yamaha Acoustic Parlor Guitar and have never had a failure.
Unlike standard strap locks these just fit over the existing strap buttons.
You can get them in a lot of music shops or on Amazon.

I hope this helps you in your search.

1 Like

thank you, that’s exactly this kind of thing. I bought the Dunlop Lok Strap system, here shown at left. the other things (right) are basic rubber lock rings. I much prefer the Dunlop !

5 Likes

@terb

Same thing different brand.
A long time ago I tried flat rubber tap washers and even just wrapping a rubber band around the strap buttons.
Do the Dunlop ones have a amp cord retainer like the D’Addarios?

I never felt safe using these locks on heavier guitars like my Les Paul or now my TRBX504 bass. If you ever see a musician have his axe drop to the ground/floor it will definitely convince you to use some kind of strap locks. I have too much money and time/love invested in my guitars to cheap out by not using something to retain the strap.

1 Like

@howard

You’re just after the beer :grin:

Agreed.

2 Likes

I knew that I need lock straps since the moment my basic strap slipped off of my guitar and I end up with this one-handed stare of doom watching the instrument as it was falling on the ground.

@BohemianTherapy

That should be strap locks not lock straps although I have seen straps with plastic strap locks built right in but that is not what most players use.

1 Like

no, it’s just for the strap really

2 Likes

I grabbed a pack of 10 of the rubber type ones off of Wish for 99c delivered !

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve always used too, Laurent @terb . . . so far, haven’t had a problem.

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

I never used those rubber rings actually. I always use the Schaller Strap Lock system, and I only bought the Dunlop twisting rings for the two basses I really want to keep 100% stock (the SBV and the Grabber).

but yeah I guess the rubber rings work well if you don’t always remove the strap from the bass.

3 Likes

Yes, my bass sits on a stand and I leave the strap on all the time . . . :slight_smile:

Good point, Laurent :+1:

3 Likes

@Mac

I have those but only use them or rubber bands on my lightweight guitars.
Actually I usually give them away to people in jam sessions.

1 Like

@terb

I agree 100%.
I like the feel of the extra security with the Schaller strap locks.
I keep meaning to swap out the D’Addario’s for Schallers on my Electric Baritone Ukulele which I paid about $500 for.

2 Likes

Every single bass I own have Ernie Ball strap locks. Bought those 1st and been using them ever since. Never had problems with them. For peace of mind. I have nice bass guitars and cheap ones too. $20.00 on your :baby: is worth it. If I sell my bass strap locks go to new owner. That’s the way I roll.:rofl::joy::grin::rofl:

3 Likes